X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scots migrated to Arygll circa 500 AD - or was it the other way around?

No doubt some have previously read the following article, but it was new to me , and I thought I would share it here.
    The author disputes the long held idea that the Highland Scots were originally from Northern Ireland , and migrated to Argyll circa 500 AD:

http://www.ulsterheritage.com/scotsi...scotsirish.htm
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting article, and I will have a look in depth when I get a chance, but I remain to be convinced by his ideas that the Scots did not originate from Ireland. I think the picture is more complex than we can really get an accurate insight into. I've talked about the way in which an elite could take control but not necessarily change the culture of the people underneath them despite being in control. Let's say these invaders do not themselves have the skills to work metal or create jewellery then it's obvious that the 'underclass' is going to continue to do things in a way they always have, unless there is a demand for something to be done in a new way or an importation of skilled individuals from the other culture.

I also think that he's struck on something I've often considered but seems to be in someway ignored - travel by sea was historically easier, and migration can be a two way process. I think eventually it would have been a case of movement of some ideas, concepts and skills, and people in two directions, so some things found in Scotland at earlier dates are going to appear in Ireland at later dates and vice versa....

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early antiquarians from at least the late 19th century had associated the lands of Clan MacEacharn with the region the Epidii tribe were given on Ptolemy's ancient map. It's been noted over the years that Epidii and Each contain the respective p and q Celtic forms for horse.

It could just be coincidence though.

On the other hand we have the Cruithin mentioned in Ireland who appear to be the same people as the Britons/Prydain showing that one group can be given different names depending on who's giving the information.

There was even a Cruithin group called the Uí Echach. It's poor evidence, but it might also point there having been a horse tribe that existed both sides of the North Channel.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Damion For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as there has been people on the British Isles there has been a to-ing and fro-ing of people. I think it is much more nuanced than Irish invaded Scotland or visa versa. Perhaps we are too obsessed by borders nowadays to fully grasp how neighbouring tribes interacted. On the other hand, perhaps we just haven't found the archaeological evidence yet.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted
    Last edited by neloon; 9th September 18 at 10:01 AM.