X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Jacket Conversion Results

I, being completely new to sewing, probably oughtn't to have tried something so ambitious as a tweed jacket conversion as my first project. Where I encountered difficulty:

1. Pockets
    These were flap style pockets with smaller flap-style pockets underneath them. I have used a seam ripper before but these were sewn on with extremely tiny and very tight stitches so that when I tried to seam rip them, I ended up ripping up just as much tweed weave as actual pocket-attaching thread. So much so that I accidentally ripped a hole (about 1/3 inch diameter) in the tweed.

2. Cutting a straight line
    I should have known better than to trust myself with scissors. I couldn't keep the liner and outer material, two layers of each, even when cutting. As a result, sometimes the liner ended up sticking out lower than the outer and I ended up with some weird curves on the bottom hem.

3. Hemming
    The only way I know how to hem is not the way the maker of this jacket chose to hem the rest of it, so the bottom hem looks noticeably different from the rest of the jacket.

4. Curious construction
    So under the pockets on each side were tiny panels of shiny liner material that seemed to serve no purpose but to connect two separate panels of tweed outer together. Once I took the pockets and shiny liner off, I had two freely-flapping panels of tweed outer connected only at the sides of the jacket and not to the front. My problem only became worse when I started cutting the waistline down and cut through the seam holding them on at the sides and that started to unravel, too.

So because of all that, the bottom of the jacket now looks like a complete mess. I'm hesitant to try again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant !!!
    Good on ya for trying,
    So....

Go to the op shop (goodwill) and get a few more cheap jackets that fit through the shoulders and chest.
    Rip
    Swear
    Tack
    Swear
    Baste
    Swear
    Cut
    Swear
    Stitch
    Swear

Repeat...

All those little bits of fabric that shine, or are rough, seem to stick to fabric or have glue on them, don’t match, and those stitches inside
    do have a construction purpose.

Waste some time using Dr Google & YouTube to learn about men’s jacket construction. Then some of those weird bits floating around on the inside will start to make sense and less swearing -may- ensue.

And pictures!
    Post pictures of each stage and ask for help.

3. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks to the above post I have tried a conversion myself. It turned out OK I guess, Im 74 new to sewing and I followed all steps above. Plus I picked up two cheap knockoff kilts to learn how to shorten to a 21 inch length and maybe to take apart to see how they are put together. I cannot justify the cost of a nice kilt to go walking in the woods, canoeing, fishing or even a walk in the Canal Park with my wife. Plus Im to try to lose 10 to 20 pounds if possible. But at the same time I still want to wear the kilt as respectfully as I can. So DIY even with the knockoff kilts is about the only way fo us to go. Thanks for all the info I'm learning a lot. I cant seem to get the photos the right size to post I need to read more about that.
    Last edited by pofloyd1; 29th January 19 at 10:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using a sewing machine and hand stitching since I was about 8 years old or so but I've until recently never attempted an ambitious project as converting a suit jacket to a kilt jacket. The first attempt was a little rough, basically I cut the bottom short and hemmed it. The jacket certainly didn't look very well.

After spending some time on YouTube looking at how professional tailors shorten a suit jacket it came together for me. You need to open the lining at a seam in the middle of the lining and turn the jacket inside out. This allows you to hem the jacket fabric and the lining correctly. Don't rush it, take your time, and if you need to turn it rightside out and reverse it several times the do so.

You should be able to find suitable jackets for less than $10 each at thrift stores so buy a couple and experiment before you go on to the good jacket you want to end up with. And don't forget that your local quilting stores will offer sewing lessons for a reasonable cost.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MacCrunch For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCrunch View Post
    Don't rush it, take your time.
    Well stated (along with the other thoughts you submitted).

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only ever found one jacket in a thrift store that fit me correctly, let alone being suitable for conversion, and I'm not a huge guy. The best bet is ebay. I look for sport coats without vents and patch pockets. Hanging in the closet is a Hugo Boss linen-wool blend jacket waiting for conversion. Found it on ebay, no vents, patch pockets.

Vents only complicate conversion. Patch pockets increase your options.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post: