X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non-traditional Kilt wearing issue

So, my current favorite kilts are my 2 Elkommando Kilts from Mountain Hardwear. As are all of the Mountain Hardwear clothing, it's made from technical materials that are as light as possible for the task at hand. Well, being a Modern/Hiking/Cargo type kilt it has an integtrated belt that is only on the front across the apron. I know I don't fit the mainstream Kilt wearing mold, because I prefer the Non-Traditional Kilts with pockets and such so I don't have to wear a sporran. My one Sporran is a nice black leather that I only wear with my traditional Black Watch kilt.

So.....??? My favorite Kilt, as I mentioned, is made from a very lightweight material, which makes the kilt very comfortable, but too revealing for most situations... Does anyone have a trick for flattening out your apron without wearing underwear? Has anyone used some sort of iron-on or sewn-in backing to stiffen the fabric, chainmail loin cloth or any other crazy idea that actually works?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably get more miles out of my Mountain Hardwear kilts than Utilikilts these days. The comfort is remarkable. You mentioned self-belt on them. My first MH kilt was a size too large, but not unwearable. It became subject to experimentation. Since I don't like the long hem dragging over sweaty knees on uphill hikes I got busy with scissors and sewing machine. I removed a couple of inches from the hem. Then, I took the trimmings and fashioned belt loops. (I like to have a belt to hang phone and Leatherman tool.) I had enough left over for loops on the smaller sized -Med- MH kilt, too. The large is just for hikes, fishing, or canoeing. Perfect. I don't give a thought or care about male contours. Sports costumes don't either. I am what I am and people can get used to it.
    You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
    Sir Timothy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if you'd get more useful answers and more of them if this was moved to the Contemporary Kilt Wear Subforum. We can do that if you like.

Father Bill
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I wonder if you'd get more useful answers and more of them if this was moved to the Contemporary Kilt Wear Subforum. We can do that if you like.

Father Bill
    That would be good. Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done. I'll leave a temporary re-direct here too.

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    I probably get more miles out of my Mountain Hardwear kilts than Utilikilts these days. The comfort is remarkable. ....I don't give a thought or care about male contours. Sports costumes don't either. I am what I am and people can get used to it.
    The Mountain Hardwear Elkommando is great, but I don't think they make it anymore. I did not find the two I have on the Mountain Hardwear website, I got them off Amazon.

When hiking or camping I completely agree, but I do wear my kilts to the office and would like to wear my Mountain Hardwear kilts as well. At the office, obviously, what I think doesn't keep me out of the HR office! hehe

I think my one sporran looks out of place with anything but my traditional Black Watch Kilt, so I rarely wear it and haven't seen any other sporrans that really go with the style of my other kilts. I do have a small 511 tactical molle pouch that I've tried to figure out how to use in place of a sporran but it just seems a little to bulky.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
    So.....??? My favorite Kilt, as I mentioned, is made from a very lightweight material, which makes the kilt very comfortable, but too revealing for most situations...
    I just wanted to point out the irony of a nudist saying something was too revealing.

I hear what you're saying, though. Thin material can show the imprint of things we don't necessarily want shown in every social situation. This isn't just a problem with kilts, either. Wearing boxer shorts with thin dress trousers often causes similar imprinting.

If you're dead-set against undergarments, I think the backing strip inside the inner apron is probably the easiest fix. Anything heavy enough or stiff enough to reduce imprinting to just a generic bulge is about as good as you're going to get.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I just wanted to point out the irony of a nudist saying something was too revealing.

I hear what you're saying, though. Thin material can show the imprint of things we don't necessarily want shown in every social situation. This isn't just a problem with kilts, either. Wearing boxer shorts with thin dress trousers often causes similar imprinting.

If you're dead-set against undergarments, I think the backing strip inside the inner apron is probably the easiest fix. Anything heavy enough or stiff enough to reduce imprinting to just a generic bulge is about as good as you're going to get.
    Touche', hehe.

The past couple years I have been in a work environment that I can wear jeans, so going commando doesn't seem to be any different than wearing boxers, for the most part and I therefore have gotten out of the habbit of wearing underwear period. Your suggestion is one of the things I have considered, thank you for the reinforcement. My Black Elcommando kilt is more concealing than the lighter green. Kilts draw attention and the solid lighter colors on an otherwise flat featureless apron, do seem to emphasize the slightest irregularity. My other Cargo style kilts are more busy than the Elkommando's and no one's eyes are directed to any single point of interest.

Thanks again for the input & the irony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see where you might want to be a little more low profile in an office setting. If you double over a well laundered and softened bandana and baste it on the inside of the kilt it will be comfortable, absorbent, removable, and concealing. I've done this to my good wool kilt for cleanliness and to avoid chaffing.
    You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
    Sir Timothy

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taj For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    I can see where you might want to be a little more low profile in an office setting. If you double over a well laundered and softened bandana and baste it on the inside of the kilt it will be comfortable, absorbent, removable, and concealing. I've done this to my good wool kilt for cleanliness and to avoid chaffing.

Very good idea.
    Thanks again