X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    There are a lot of hybrid type sporrans which claim to be "semiformal" but seem really out of place for both day dress and evening dress. I do think that informal evening dress calls for something that's a step up from a day sporran (i.e. not just leather), but should stop well short of being the type of sporran one would wear with black tie (i.e. metal cantle with fur). Richard's post #4 in that thread has some interesting examples for perusal.
    After looking at his post, I've narrowed my options down to two, then. First, the ones I currently own are similar to the following.
    Daywear:
    S-AZDI_large__84223.1425416968.386.513.jpg

Evening/formal:
    S-EW2B_large__91713.1425417268.386.513.jpg

Since neither of those two were deemed appropriate, what about one of these, from J. Higgins, that are in my price range:

s-ehstb_bi__90450.1425416056.386.513.jpg
    https://www.jhiggins.net/ehstbbk-sporran-w-chain-strap/

S-AZFCB_large__61463.1425416434.386.513.jpg
    https://www.jhiggins.net/azfcb-semi-...udget-sporran/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, swapping sporrans is a good idea. Yet, as I have done in the past, a good "but, dear, I NEED this sporran for this event" can be of some value later If purchasing for the occasion, I'd go for the semi-dress budget. From a practicality perspective, it can bridge the day/evening nicely and is sufficiently different from what you already have that it could expand your range of choice in future.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Female perspective:
    -Change your shirt eg: blue or tattersall at the office> clean, pressed, fresh white at the event.
    -As long as your sporran is tidy and polished it should be fine but if you can afford a new one why not?
    -Women change handbags all athe time from day to evening, it’s a simple change over.
    - take a shoe kit and give your footwear a once over (same with the sporran if not changing)
    - add a pocket square in the evening.
    - add a sgian dubh or a dressier one (if allowable and appropriate)

I think little touches like cleaned polished shoes and a pocket square lift your attire from office to evening .

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post: