X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Steve,
    I have posted my conclusions from a comprehensive reading of posts available here. If I have misconstrued anything then I stand to be corrected. It was not my intention to be critical but that seems to be the reaction my post has elicited.
    If I have touched upon a sensitive issue then I apologise and accept that this is not a forum for open discussion.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ivor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only been with this forum for four years. I post regularly on every subject where I feel I can contribute. I also ask questions of new and older members in order to learn. Discussions vary with personalities, experiences and geographical history of the people posting. It has been most enlightening for me.

One thing I have personally found is the use of the PM (personal message) option available. Some sensitive issues can be discussed in private without breaking the rules set forth (as agreed upon by all members) during public posting. I see that contacts made by members on individual threads have been taken to the realm of "real life" during group meetings, gatherings at Highland games and other functions like kilt night outings.

I like what this group offers as an example to other forums in that even with our variety of members we have a standard of civility that the world needs more than ever.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beg to differ, Ivor. Open discussion can be discovered rampant in the forums, and controversy isn't that sparse either. What I find tempers discussion - as opposed to suppress it - is a simple set of common sense rules. A way to allow self to settle back and contemplate prior to launching off. I find it keeps things amiable and civil, and I do not fault the forum at all for providing a space for open opinion without having to endure open hostility. As Tarheel mentioned above, there's probably a fair bit happens beyond the open forum.

I don't see the correlation between your original post and the latest. I wouldn't accept at all that this is not a forum for open discussion in the breadth and scope of its stated agenda.

As for traffic and analytics, matters not to me. Sometimes I drop by often, sometimes not for weeks. But, XMarks is always here to give me my kilt forum fix when needed.
    Last edited by Taskr; 14th September 18 at 02:33 PM.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been on this forum for years 10, December, 2006 was my join date. In that time I have seen members come and go some return some do not, a large portion of that time was spent as a moderator. I have taken breaks from the forum and have had my run ins with the admins from time to time. I have always come back, you might ask why? The answer is that xmarksthescot has become my home on the net. I have always been welcomed back to the forum if I wanted back.

Steve and the moderating staff have a difficult job to do with the amount of active members on the board, but this forum is open for anyone to speak, you have to stay within the rules and there are reasons for them all most have come about for very good reasons.

8. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight

I stopped coming here because I lost a lot of weight to wear a kilt in the first place, then over a year put it all back on and none of them fit any more, but I'm trying to loose it again, especially since I now have arthritis in my left knee and the doctor has told me to loose it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an unexperienced and somewhat shy newcomer I made some ‘naïve (?)’contributions. Reactions were in my perception not too welcoming and that made me somewhat afraid ‘to expose’ myself too much.
    There was also the case where a French new member introduced himself and I dared to wish him welcome in his mother tongue (bienvenu sur.....), I got a serious warning that another language was not allowed.
    Lastly, some members found it necessary to joke about my avatar, not knowing the meaning of it.
    Since than I am only reading the 'To days' section’.

But, no bad feelings.
    With your back against the sea, the enemy can come only from three sides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hector View Post
    As an unexperienced and somewhat shy newcomer I made some ‘naïve (?)’contributions. Reactions were in my perception not too welcoming and that made me somewhat afraid ‘to expose’ myself too much.
    There was also the case where a French new member introduced himself and I dared to wish him welcome in his mother tongue (bienvenu sur.....), I got a serious warning that another language was not allowed.
    Lastly, some members found it necessary to joke about my avatar, not knowing the meaning of it.
    Since than I am only reading the 'To days' section’.

But, no bad feelings.
    I can't make out what your avatar is, so what is it and what is it's meaning?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not the subject of this thread, but I will tell you:
    I live in a very small country which has been invaded many times and in the most devastated way last century. We were helped and liberated by British, Americans, Canadians,...all people coming by vessels to my country.
    That is why we shouldn't fear attacks from the sea; on the contrary!
    With your back against the sea, the enemy can come only from three sides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok

I live in a very small country which has been invaded many times and in the most devastated way last century. We were helped and liberated by British, Americans, Canadians,...all people coming by vessels to my country.
    Understood. I can't see what it is though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the winged victory statue at the louvre. I don’t see what a Greek statue kept in a French museum has to do with Belgium. And looking through your older posts I missed where other members mocked it.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast