X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting discussion, I am thinking about my own participation. I see I joined in 2011 and I was very active for several years then my participation declined to almost nothing for several years. Recently I have joined the conversation a bit again. I participate in a couple of internet forums on various topics which interest me (gundog training, fly fishing, etc.). For me they are the virtual equivalent of a Pub. A place you can drop in see familiar faces and enjoy conversation on topics of mutual interest. Just like Pubs some forums are warm, friendly and inviting, some are rough and hostile. I tend the frequent the former and avoid the later. In general I have always found this place friendly and respectful of other points of view. As I recall I drifted away at a time when there seemed to be a bit more rancour around what is "proper" and who is really "entitled" to kilt. Not terrible stuff but I was finding it irksome.

Also, how much can the average person really have to say about a garment. I make no claim to know everything about kilts but after wearing them for over 50 years I feel I know pretty well everything I need to know to enjoy mine. So ultimately it is the quality of conversation that will keep me coming back.
    Last edited by Singlemalt; 21st February 19 at 06:37 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    My impression of the site so far is that it is a broad church ranging from those who seek to immerse themselves in Scottish culture and for whom wearing a kilt and playing the pipes or engaging in highland games fulfils that ambition and then others who, for whatever reason, simply wish to wear an unbifurcated garment.
    I think those are the extremes. I wouldn't put myself in either camp. Rather, I'm very proud of the wee bit of Scottish blood I've found in myself and the heritage that goes with it, but on the other hand, I'm a lifelong Albaphile and I want to wear the kilt well and respectfully.

I can appreciate Singlemalt’s views that a rigid and unbending dogma by some discouraged him from taking part and this may well have influenced many, unsure about their “entitlement” to wearing highland dress.
    Yup. In my early days as a member here I came very close to selling my small kit acquired at that time and quitting the site in disgust. I'm glad I didn't.

All I would say about that is that most kilt-wearing Scots have no more “highland” credentials in this respect than most of those overseas. The only proviso I would add to this is that the introduction of some imagined farrago such as “Brigadoonery” or other Hollywood imaginings of Scottish culture does nothing to endear Scots to their compatriots elsewhere.
    I hope that those with a genuine interest in Scotland and its culture can embrace such views and wear their kilts with pride and understanding.
    ...and that's the goal.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

craigclan is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I myself was fairly active in the beginning then I went through a horrible divorce and life changing illness and honestly completely forgot about the website . I didn't wear my kilt for almost 2 years . I have now stabilized life to a point and am now back . People change. People come and go.
    live for god and you shall have life

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    We are a small country a welcoming one.
    I certainly felt welcomed. I stumbled into the Niel Gow fiddle festival in Dunkeld and Birnam and had a wonderful
    time. Ten years later met a fiddle player at a mountain festival who is best friends with one the fiddle players we
    met there. A reminder of how small and connected this world is; close ties everywhere. Behooves us all to be open.

On the other note, small country, the Atlanta, Georgia metro area is now home to more people than live in Scotland.
    There are maybe ten counties in Georgia with populations larger or roughly equal to that of the Highlands. In the metro
    area here we have one of the largest Highland games on this continent. The metro area is home to likely one and a half
    to two million folk with Scottish bloodlines. The current census estimate on percentage of folk who identify as Scottish
    descent is twenty percent, and it's thought the actual percentage is higher. So here in the States, about seventy million.

Most who came to these shores did not leave by choice, and arrived with nothing, many without even their freedom;
    some never were free, though their children were. We have raised here a great, albeit flawed, society. Much of who and what we are today is traceable to Scots. Yes, we feel that connection, and treasure it. Whether it might seem genuine to Scots is not something we control.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like a family...

Over the years there has been a transition in users. Many of us who were here for over a decade have had our interpersonal squabbles, like any family. There were also times of great revelry where everyone was taking light hearted jabs at each other, as well as dark times that we supported each other through. Many of us have connected in the 'real world' and established lasting friendships. It would be great to have the level of active participation that keeps things fresh, but as many have observed, it's cyclical. Thanks to Steve for keeping this place alive, and to all the rabble for supporting it!
    "Durum Patientia Frango" (By patience I break what is hard) Clan Muir Muir motto
    "Do well, and let them say - Gordon!"
    "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members" My hero, Groucho Marx

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Improv1 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, for those who wonder, there are three or four extremely active threads right now that are keeping the place hopping. That’s about all it takes.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567