X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Buchanan Chief at long last

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. That's great news for Clan Buchanan. I'm a little puzzled, though, by the process. I'm an American, so forgive me for not knowing the ins and outs of authority in these matters. Is Lord Lyon the official arbiter of all clan matters? I know that the Lyon Court regulates heraldry/arms and such, but I didn't know it had the authority to appoint chiefs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been celebrating all day and will do more at the New Hampshire Highland Games next week.

I had the privilege of meeting Michael --- The Buchanan --- last August and he is a going to be a great Chief for our Clan. He is very personable and approachable. After 337 years our Clan is complete once again.

The tartan he wears is Buchanan of Leny - a private family tartan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Buchanan.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	35141
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Wow. That's great news for Clan Buchanan. I'm a little puzzled, though, by the process. I'm an American, so forgive me for not knowing the ins and outs of authority in these matters. Is Lord Lyon the official arbiter of all clan matters? I know that the Lyon Court regulates heraldry/arms and such, but I didn't know it had the authority to appoint chiefs.
    Yes the Lord Lyon King of Arms has the final determination on all petitions for chief of a clan. This petition was submitted in May 2017 so the process is not a speedy one.

In the decision he is described as confirming the person as "Chief of the name and arms of Buchanan."

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    Yes the Lord Lyon King of Arms has the final determination on all petitions for chief of a clan. This petition was submitted in May 2017 so the process is not a speedy one.

In the decision he is described as confirming the person as "Chief of the name and arms of Buchanan."
    As an aside once cocky comeback my father taught me for anyone who questioned my right to wear the kilt (with a bit of artistic licence could also be pressed into service for anyone demanding whether you were a 'true Scotsman' underneath) was "And Who Make You Lord Lyon"!!!???!!!..... (most effective when teamed up with a slightly quizzical, slightly distainful look)…. the idea being that if they knew who Lord Lyon was they would realise they had no real authority to question you and if they did not (which is often typical amongst even a certain type of person with Scottish Accents who are rude enough to make a point of questioning your right to wear the kilt) then they didn't know what they were talking about anyway and therefore the ignorant should know better than to question the better informed about their rights to wear an inherited garnment displaying their family heritage.....

Of course where I come from I also have also had to contend with a certain type of smartass idiot telling me "you can shoot a Kilted Scotsman on sight here" to which I point out that actually the term in the statute was Redshanks which means the bare legs and therefore one could just as easily shoot someone wearing shorts or swimming trunks on the beach regardless of nationality if that statute still applied which it does not.....

My apologies for drifting off topic, but I thought with the conversation about Lord Lyon it would make for a humorous interlude of some benefit....

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	The Buchanan.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	35141
    I seem to have acquired a kilt in the same tartan! I thought it was a fashion version of Buchanan

Name:	wedding kilt.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	35142

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    I seem to have acquired a kilt in the same tartan! I thought it was a fashion version of Buchanan

Name:	wedding kilt.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	35142
    No, the two are different. The chief's tartan has a plain green ground rather than on bisected by a black stripe. Here is a comparison between his and your tartans.

Name:	Buchanan Comparison.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	35143

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather confusingly, Scotweb (D. C. Dalgliesh Ltd) call the 1850 setting, as worn by Wareyin (Post #7) Buchanan of Leny.
    Perhaps now that there is a chief he will confirm the name of his sett and ask Scotwed to amend their naming accordingly.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I applaud the recognition and announcement for the family. There is one Buchanan family in the Mississippi delta (dear friends) that will be thrilled to hear the news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Rather confusingly, Scotweb (D. C. Dalgliesh Ltd) call the 1850 setting, as worn by Wareyin (Post #7) Buchanan of Leny.
    Perhaps now that there is a chief he will confirm the name of his sett and ask Scotwed to amend their naming accordingly.
    He told me that he was going to register the tartan in light of his new position.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast