X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: UT kilts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UT kilts

Hello, new person here. I was thinking of buying a wool kilt from UT kilts and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? Are they made well, and are they warm enough for cooler weather?

Thanks,

Stephen

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephen.... Brice at UT Kilts is great to deal with but is a reseller of kilts made in Pakistan. Try a search using the search feature here.
    Here is a thread similar to yours,
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=89245

The truth is that you usually get what you pay for. UT kilts while advertised as wool are a blend of wool and something other, perhaps acrylic. They are about a 5 yd kilt with no stabilizer. An appropriate pub kilt, but I would recommend a PV kilt from one of the advertisers here if you are looking for an entry level kilt.
    Slainte....
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stephen, I ordered my first kilt which is still being made is Scotland so wanted another utility kilt to start wearing. After trying another brand, I ended up with a UTKilt. I am happy with it, for the price I paid and being able to order through Amazon. I think the fabric is a bit scratchier than I prefer but it won't deter me from wearing. It is a stiffer fabric than the SportKilt that I ordered and wore for the first time yesterday. I'm a new kilt enthusiast so that is just from my point of view. The other gents here can provide much more feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a relative newbie and have been very happy with my Basic Kilt from USA Kilts. Made in USA and about $100. I use it casually about town, and hiking. It's a synthetic, tough as nails, never wrinkles, and has a nice, substantial hand. (The “hand” of a fabric refers to the “feel” of the fabric against your skin - definition from a Web search). I was hiking in it yesterday in temps in the 40's and was plenty warm, although I'm skinny and lose body heat easily so I did supplement it with extra long boxer briefs ("quad" style from Jockey; a compression short would do too), plus substantial wool and nylon hose (knee socks).

This particular kilt did need a pressing to set the pleats better. Steve Ashton of Freedom Kilts showed me how to do that without basting. Perhaps such instructions can be found on this forum, I dunno.

I have my next kilt, a used wool one from ebay, seemingly made in the UK. It has no stabilizer but it was cheap. I'm thinking of ways to add a stabilizer. See http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...de-kilt-22330/ Once you have a good idea of your size, and in my case I had to buy one first, then looking at second hand kilts becomes more possible. I've had to query ebay sellers several times to find out, e.g., their idea of a size 34 waist meant the kilt fit him and he wears size 34 jeans. That is unlikely to translate to a kilt waist size 34.

I'm no expert. Unless you live within driving distance to a kilt shop, getting your size right will take some perusal of this forum and some trial and error. I initially measured myself but that, in my experience, did not produce a very accurate result. At least work with a seamstress or tailor.
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Oilverland For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two UT Kilts, both utilities and one a PV Royal Stewart. I can't speak for heat retention during colder temps but the construction is good and the sizing is accurate. And I agree... pub kilts. Not that there's anything wrong with that. For not much more $$, there's other options available to you. Search the vendors here before you pull the trigger.

(If the bug really bites you, there'll be plenty more in your future...)
    #beamaker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the helpful responses, I’m actually considering a Stillwater kilt, the economy black watch wool kilt. It seems better reviewed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the Stillwater kilt have a stabilizer liner built in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out USA Kilts and Celtic Croft as well... I have kilts from each one and have no complaints other than the one from Celtic Croft isn't quite long enough for me (I'm 6' 8" and need a 25-26" length at the least and the Celtic Croft one is the standard off-the-hanger 24").
    Never run or do jumping jacks while wearing a heavy sporran
    "500 years before Christ was born, a highlander stepped on the bloated carcass of a sheep and the bagpipes were born"
    Stabo (I shall stand)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Built closer to the ground

Quote Originally Posted by The TALL TN Scot View Post
    Check out USA Kilts and Celtic Croft as well... I have kilts from each one and have no complaints other than the one from Celtic Croft isn't quite long enough for me (I'm 6' 8" and need a 25-26" length at the least and the Celtic Croft one is the standard off-the-hanger 24").
    I have the opposite problem I need a 20-21" length. I received a Celtic Croft Great Kilt with the sewn in pleats and am thinking of resewing it to a 21" length. Well made by the way.
    Last edited by pofloyd1; 27th September 18 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    Does the Stillwater kilt have a stabilizer liner built in?
    I have an older Stillwater that was purchased used. It has no stabilizer nor interfacing. Afterall it is an economy kilt.