X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Helpful directions in Edinburgh

Photographed this the other day in a shopping centre near Edinburgh Waverley station. (Might it upset some, if it implies Scotsmen are neither men nor women?!)

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Americans with a Scottish ancestry believe that native Scots deserve their own toilet. There is something other-worldly and super human about the people and the culture.

I base this on a strict bias of my part.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for those who are orthographically challenged, “Ladies” and “Laddies” might look the same....
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps a dumb question, but what's the metal contraption in the doorway? A turnstile or pay station?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    It will be a turnstile that you pay with coins to get through. There are similar ones elsewhere such as the Bus station and the train station and unless you have the right change you don’t get in! Bad news for those in dire need!

Here I sit, broken hearted; paid the toll and only f*rted.... sorry, couldn’t resist..
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    It will be a turnstile that you pay with coins to get through. There are similar ones elsewhere such as the Bus station and the train station and unless you have the right change you don’t get in! Bad news for those in dire need!
    In fairness to the shopping centre's owners/managers, there is a change machine provided. Also, on the day the photo was taken, the change machine was out of action, and in consequence they allowed free entry! A careful look at the turnstile will show that the rotating bar across the entrance has been removed.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't mean to derail the thread, but I'm slighly astounded by the idea of charging an entry fee to use the loo. Here in my neck of the proverbial woods, such a brazen attempt at nickel-and-diming people over such a basic physical need would be met with outrage, derision, and likely a social media campaign to boycott the venue. They would claim (and perhaps rightly so) that this is capitalism gone awry, and a thinly-veiled attempt to discourage certain social classes from being there. Businesses here sometimes have a policy of restrooms being only for paying customers, but even that has been attacked recently as discriminatory. Is this sort of toll station for restrooms common in the UK?

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I didn't mean to derail the thread, but I'm slighly astounded by the idea of charging an entry fee to use the loo. Here in my neck of the proverbial woods, such a brazen attempt at nickel-and-diming people over such a basic physical need would be met with outrage, derision, and likely a social media campaign to boycott the venue. They would claim (and perhaps rightly so) that this is capitalism gone awry, and a thinly-veiled attempt to discourage certain social classes from being there. Businesses here sometimes have a policy of restrooms being only for paying customers, but even that has been attacked recently as discriminatory. Is this sort of toll station for restrooms common in the UK?
    Not unusual anywhere in Europe.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Businesses here sometimes have a policy of restrooms being only for paying customers, but even that has been attacked recently as discriminatory.
    Pay toilets used to be very common in the U.S. up until half a century ago, hence the stereotypical humorous rhymes. Also, yes. In areas with a very high population of transient persons with habits of using illicit narcotics, combination locks and token fee systems are common. Off the top of my head I can think of Portland, Oregon as one place where an open-for-all-to-use restroom is the exception rather than the rule, but that's slowly shifting as the city moderates its affordable housing crisis.
    Last edited by imbrius; 19th September 18 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Remove unneccessary comma.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure they have a VAT (Value added Tax) on that too.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast