X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporran shapes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran shapes?

I’m looking to purchase a sporran that works for daily wear (no tassels, ornamentation, decent capacity), and I ran across a rectangular “hip belt” that I think would fit the bill (I dislike chains, prefer belts). The dimensions are 6.5 x 5 x 3. Have any of you worn or seen this style used? I’m not talking formal, just utility meets style.

P.S.- I can’t seem to upload a picture- would posting an Etsy listing (to show what I’m referring to) violate the terms of use?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People post links to eBay listings all the time, so I don't see why Etsy would be any different...as long as it's not secretly your own listing.

Also, if you don't like chains, an all-leather (except for the buckle) sporran strap is certainly an option.
    Last edited by Dollander; 19th September 18 at 07:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted.
    Last edited by Dollander; 19th September 18 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit "quote" instead of "edit" on my previous post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here goes...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5925545..._home_active_2

Again, lose the bling and tassel-like strap length- would this work as/look like a sporran?

As for the listing- you’d know it was mine by the presence of squeezed out glue and duct tape holding it together (poorly)!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, it looks like it would work just fine.
    I have a memory of Robin Williams wearing a kilt for a show, with a rectangular sporran - I think it was snakeskin!? I’ll have to find it on YouTube again...
    Aside from whatever shaping is done for the ‘hip bag’ qualification, and how useful that closure is.
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one intense pouch! I don't think that would fit the definition of a sporran, but like you said, a hip pouch. It also reminds me of a men's satchel. I suppose you could rock it with a utility kilt type, not so sure with a tartan kilt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many shapes of slight variation which say to the world at large "sporran". I don't really think that's one of them or convertible to become one. Most people would just be a bit confused by it.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not Google "Rob Roy sporran" to find a wide variety of larger capacity, more casually ornamented sporrans? Just a quick search showed me a few options for as little as about $50.

The Etsy listing you showed is much more "Ren Faire" than "highland dress" -- but the Rob Roy sporran is a very, very popular highland games/Scottish festival option.
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Googled “Rob Roy sporran,” and there are many designs close to what I’m looking for, but not exactly. This seller is making a more “sporran shaped” sporran for me, and I hope it’s the last one I buy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast