X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me it would seem the length of the jacket would be less of a concern than the traditional cutaway for the sporran if the jacket were worn buttoned. The belt buckle and possibly the bottom of the shirt peaking out due to the way we wear trousers today would just spell WRONG.
    Last edited by MNlad; 27th September 18 at 08:08 AM.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNlad View Post
    To me it would seem the length of the jacket would be less of a concern than the traditional cutaway for the sporran if the jacket were worn buttoned. The belt buckle and possibly the bottom of the shirt peaking out due to the way we wear trousers today would just spell WRONG.
    I'm assuming you mean if it's buttoned up. Yeah, I could see that being an issue.

At this point it sounds like my original thought was correct, and that this is just "not done". Maybe my brother's interest in the jacket will help spur him to buy a kilt if he really wants to wear it.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think kilt jackets could work with none tartan trousers but they'd have to be of the high cut similar to trews and using braces rather than belts to hold up

I think if you didn't have trews or kilt a prince charlie could look good with a fishtail set of black trousers. But then as we have kilts and or trews thrn why would we pick such an unconventional style?...
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 28th September 18 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it could work . . . this photo is from an earlier X Marks discussion here: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...t-trews-62238/

Just imagine the trews being replaced with plain trousers of a similar cut.
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 28th September 18 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ralph Lauren did a take on an Argyle jacket and plaid
    https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/ra...2-fall-winter/
    (If you scroll down you'll notice the image of the jacket /plaid trousers)
    I did know a couple of retired military men that have had Argyle jackets that were tailored slightly longer to wear with trews.
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It did happen occasionally in the 1940s/early50s not so much because of thrift but because of clothing rationing.

Alan

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be better with more close cut type of trousers rather than the baggier type...

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GENIUS idea! To the cutting edge - AND BEYOND!
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    It did happen occasionally in the 1940s/early50s not so much because of thrift but because of clothing rationing.

Alan
    Thanks, Alan. That makes some sense. Would you say, then, that it is most definitely not a normal or traditionally accepted thing to do? What would be the typical Scottish mental reaction to seeing a man wearing a kilt jacket with trousers?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    GENIUS idea! To the cutting edge - AND BEYOND!
    Just to reiterate, my point in posting this thread is not to be cutting edge at all. That's why it's in the traditional forum. I was asking specifically if it has been done, not whether it could be pulled off. It is not something I intend to do, as I have sufficient trouser-appropriate jackets and don't feel the need to mix kilt attire with so-called Saxon attire (unless I were wearing tartan trews, which I don't own). This was simply to satisfy my curiosity, with the question having been raised in my conversation with my twin brother.

I've tried searching the internet for any photographs of Highland men wearing a kilt-cut jacket with standard (non-tartan) trousers, and I just can't find any. So often, it's easy to find an exception to every "rule" and use that as an example of something having been done before (Jock Scot likes to point out that these are indeed exceptions and do not prove any sort of rule). But I simply cannot find any such examples, further reinforcing the idea that this just isn't done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Thanks, Alan. That makes some sense. Would you say, then, that it is most definitely not a normal or traditionally accepted thing to do? What would be the typical Scottish mental reaction to seeing a man wearing a kilt jacket with trousers?
    It would have been pretty rare even in the days of clothes rationing. If I saw it nowadays, I would assume that the jacket needed to be moved from A to B and was being worn as a convenient method of transport!

Alan

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12