X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modern Tartan Kilt with Pockets

Hey all, anyone have tips for finding a modern style kilt with pockets in a tartan pattern? As much as I like traditional kilts, having pockets is very helpful. I like to think of it as the jeans of kilts.

I have a UTKilt that I like but I'd prefer something that is made of P/V. That said companies like Skilt (who I absolutely love) are a bit out of my price range right now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visit Freedom Kilts.

http://www.freedomkilts.com/hand-sewn-kilts-twist/

Steve makes contemporary kilts and kilts that look traditional (but you can have them made with pockets!).

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, Yes, I am the developer of what today is called the Contemporary Kilt and the author of " The Hand Crafted Contemporary Kilt".

The primary differences from the Iconic kilt we call "The DFF&P Difference.

Please see this sticky thread in my advertisers section for a definition of the DFF&P Difference - http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=92842

Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 28th September 18 at 08:10 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding pockets on kilts but in the late 90's I remember the introduction of the "Hillwalking Kilt" which was of less yardage and which had conventional trouser style pockets similar to those pictures above on a slightly curved vertical slant.

However googling images online there are some images of a different interpretation on Kilt Wear with some guys wearing kilts with boots, etc and in some images they apoear like they have waistcoats longer than their jacket, but closer inspection reveals that what I was seeing was not the base of the waistcoat but a seperate piece haging down - they appear to be forming Pouch style pockets separate from the main body of the k7lt. I can't say I am a fan of the style though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a bit more of a look but the desgn I am referring to is from 21st Century Kilts designed by Howie Nicholsby. I can't say the style is to my tastes and personally they don't look a pleasingly aesthetically as a more traditional kilt to my eyes, but each to their own....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak to other pocket styles, not having seen them, but in the late 1990's my 1775-era 42nd Regt reenactment was at the old Montreal Forum to participate in the historical vignets portion of a military tattoo, and I met there an officer of the Black Watch of Canada (RHR) who had a pocket on the inside of the apron overlap of his kilt, which he used to hold his smokes and lighter. Being a traditionalist with regard to kilt construction, I don't have pockets on my kilts. But my view is that if others wish to include them and they can't be seen, more power to the wearer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve's Kilts look great -

Maybe a couple of options in the UK

- Highland House of Frazer in Inverness offer a "Hillwalker" kilt with 2 side pockets and a front pouch pocket:

http://www.highlandhouseoffraser.com...72&prodid=3016

- Houston Kiltmakers in Paisley used to offer this as an option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYRd9_KhoIU