X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    I think we may be stepping over political lines here by bringing “nationalists” and “the English” into the discussion because I really don’t believe that “the English” were instrumental in the Clearances or that “nationalists” seek to use this as a stick to beat that particular dead horse. The Clearances which is the subject of this post were part of a movement away from the land towards an industrialised, urban country which resulted in Britain becoming the foremost industrial nation at the time. As another has said, agrarian clearances were a feature in other parts of the UK and the Industrial Revolution which precipitated this was the result. It may even be that landowners struggled to get the rents that sustained them when enterprising people deserted the land for more lucrative jobs in cities. Of course other events such as the potato famine accelerated this move away from the land but to attribute blame to “the English” is not, in my view sustainable.
    And I agree with you there and always have... My point was not that I percieve "The English" as responsible in any way but in the popularist ignorant view of history there are more than a few who hold "The English" as responsible.. I'm saying the blame lays closer to home, but we also have to understand the historical context of one groups animosity towards another - my example was to look at the reprisals post 45 and tye effort to dismantle highland society as every bit as much tye wake of the Highland Host and the Killing Times... So rather than think the Lowland perception in the 18thC of Highlanders as uncivilized Cattle Thieves as being born out of ignorance but rather viee it as a consequence of the aforementioned history. Neither is right, but nor can we judge those emotions as totally wrong when looked in context - something a lot of people fail to do (& may be incapable of doing so not having the wider knowledge to do so....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The major reason that the "English" got the blame, was that the majority of the Highlanders were Gaelic speaking Highlanders. The heavies brought in to do the clearance were Sassanachs ... The English.. That fact they were lowland Scots from the rough areas of Glasgow didn't matter to the highlanders they were still the English.

When I lived in the Hebridies in the 1970s, Lowland Scots were still the English Sassanachs to the Gaelic speaking Highland and islanders..
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair few Gaelic speakers in Glasgow though, my Father's Aunty commented to him on the difference betwen the Gaelic as used in Glasgow to that found in the Islands...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At one point every Just about every Island had it's own Dialect of the Gàidhlig , In Glasgow you would also have had the influence of Irish Gaeilge as there were quite a few from Ireland that moved there.. ( including some of my ancesters)
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123