X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Scottish Clearances: A History of the Dispossessed, 1600-1900

This is a new book by the Scottish historian Sir Tom Devine to be published on 4th October. Reading reviews on Amazon it sounds a good read for those interested in the subject, particularly with his view that it was a Scotland-wide clearance, involving small rural dwellers in the Lowlands to an even greater extent than those in the Highlands. It is likely to be a contentious subject, particularly among those who believe it was only Highlanders who suffered in this way and an interesting read as such. Today's "Herald" has an article here - https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...he-clearances/ - .

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks Steve, I will definitely be getting a copy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the issues with Scottish history is we often get a one sided narritive and the persecution of the Highlanders has been focussed on in a revisionist version of history and utilised as part of a nationalist agenda. For example we are all made aware of the highland clearances but the ignorant majority percieve it as a Government lead policy or the actions of "The English" when infact it was the ultimate betrayal of the people by their own.

Another example would be the one sided view of the reprisals and attrocitties post 45, and the lack of perception that this was in the aftermath of a period of Scottish history where "The Highland Host" had perpetuated attrocities and depredations at the behest of the then Stuart rulers against Lowlanders whilst suppressing the Covenantors.

Little emotion is expressed with the regard to the destruction of Border society and the pacification of the borders because it's not been as romanticised & of course again it was a Stuart Monarch who perpetuated thrm. It's good to see one historian who is prepared to acknowledge that the clearances were not just a uniquely Highland Phenomenon, and is looking at building a better less romanticised view of those times.

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this interesting article from the "Dundee Courier" in May 2003 - http://www.monikie.org.uk/lowland-clearances.htm - and Devine is mentioned there so his research goes back a long way. It goes on to say that it was the clearing of the Lowland "cottars" between 1760 and 1820 that laid the basis for the later Highland clearances and that, while there are still crofters to this day in the Highlands, there are now no cottars in the Lowlands.
    You cannot help thinking that these people, some 90% of the population at the time, once dispossessed would have been the very people who migrated to Ulster and onward to America.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up. Most of Scot's blood don't live in Scotland anymore. My kin were cleared too. Actually, I'm kinda grateful for that...much better weather here in Arizona. I live in Navajo Country - the Rezlands - and am able to compare the similarities between Scots and Navajos...our clans, use of wool, love of booze, the Navajo Long Walk and the Scottish Clearances. Only differences is they got to come back, we didn't. They walked, we sailed.

Off to follow the link
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly, apparently not up on U.S. Amazon yet....
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Sadly, apparently not up on U.S. Amazon yet....
    The Book Depository (UK based) has it and they offer free delivery world-wide:
    https://www.bookdepository.com/Scott...6986690&sr=1-2

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought this today in Waterstone’s for £20 (on offer at £5off). Haven’t read it yet but a heavy tome for the price and I hope it will live up to its write up.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered a copy from the Book Depository at a cost AU$43.19 (GBP23.21). With free postage that seems like a pretty good deal .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clearances of course were throughout the UK and Ireland, different times and in some cases different reasons. Like the Village of Imber in Wiltshire evicted in 1943, for WW2 and promised they would come back... They never were allowed back.
    The area I live in now in Norfolk was enclosed in 1812, many using the common land were left with nothing for their way of life..
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast