X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bag sock & Rob Roy sporran pattern/tutorials for five year old?

Hi! I am new here and this is my first post.

I have been working on 1740s Highland attire for myself and my five year old son. Luckily I've been able to find patterns for my own clothing and underpinnings, but period patterns for a tiny child are seemingly non-existant. I'm new to sewing, so my skills are somewhat limited and I am only able to very slightly modify modern patterns to make it fit the look we are aiming for.

I have completed my son's shirt, waistcoat, belt, and great kilt. I bought two yards of poly viscose (I would have loved wool, but needed to keep the cost down for a growing kid), and added cheater pleats since he's wiggly and active. I plan to make him an overcoat and ghillies (both of which I have patterns for, luckily), but I can't seem to find any patterns or tutorials for child size 18th century bag socks or a small Roy Roy style sporran. Has anyone here made their own and have a pattern, tutorial, or tips they can share? I should have enough leather left for the sporran after cutting out the ghillies... I just am not sure what shapes I need to cut. Would it be horrible if I cheated and used Black Watch flannel fabric for the bag socks instead of buying wool?

I have a pennanular brooch on order for him, but for now he's using a MacNeil kilt pin. My mother in law is going to knit and felt a wool tam for him. Any other suggestions on how to improve his mid 18th century attire?

Thanks so much for the help!IMG_0380.jpgIMG_0382.jpgFullSizeRender-1.jpg
    Last edited by NavySubGF; 29th September 18 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Tandy Leather Store has something for you.

They have a "Windsor Leather Belt Bag Kit" that should work just fine as a Rob Roy Sporran for himself.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/prod...r-belt-bag-kit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I was hoping to make one versus purchasing one, but I can order one if I can't find a pattern or tutorial.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an excellent idea of the lacing on the back of the day jacket (vest). I am impressed that there are eight buttons. Overall a fine job (even better with a wiggly model).

Good luck on the sporran, they're easier than they look to make. Keep in mind, you are not building a leather tuxedo.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tandy kit is just that, a kit that you make. It just has everything you need to make it. I would take the leather and make a pattern from it and then you can make several.