X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visiting USA Kilts, in Spring City, Pa.

Last Friday my wife and I was in the immediate area of King of Prussia, PA, visiting a close friend of ours, Loretta. So we packed ourselves in the car and decided to take a drive out to USA Kilts Store and pay (meet) Rocky and his staff. Upon driving through Spring City, nice old Pennsylvania town on the river, over a old bridge, down the road, turn left and up on the top of a small hill to the front door of the shop. Storefront is part of a much bigger bulding, that is their workshop and warehouse. The try to keep a good shelf stock in place that enables them to deliver to the US customers much faster than from Canada or Scotland. Good business model, and they seem to be successful with it. The building is much bigger than what you realize by the photo on the website. Once you enter the shop you notice what a beautiful shop, very well presented and organized, some beautiful Sporrans on display and for sale, among so many other items. A wide selection of many different sport kilts, sporrans, shirts, accessories, with MANY Prince Charles and Argyll waistcoats/jackets for sale. You are greeting by the entire staff wearing kilts (well two guys in kilts) who are very friendly and helpful. You notice they have not only tartans but a good selection of tweed jacket for men, and outwear for women. My wife discovered the women's section very quickly. I asked to meet Rocky and the staff told me he was busy and would see if he could take a break to meet us. Very shortly Rocky came out, and got to meet Rocky, who was in the middle of finishing up a large kilt order, with a tight schedule. Rocky to the time to take a break and come out to talk, very pleasant talking and meeting Rocky. Rocky was very glad we came to visit. My wife and Loretta was with me, and of course my wife felll in love with a purple tweed cape, cap and pocket book, so ended up buying an early anniversary gift for her. She has not stopped talking about it, so score one for me. Staff was very pleasant, and we had some good laughs, shared photos of the cell phone, and made the visit very pleasing. I managed to purchase for myself a grandfather shirt, a sgian-dubh with deer antler handle (flattened on side worn next to leg), bought my wife a Luckenbooth Brooch made of pewter, really nice one, and of course the cape/cap/pocket book combo, all top quality. The hit of the day was we were brought back to see them actually making the kilts in their large workshop, it was very interesting, from the sewing, assembly to the ironing of the plets, everything is done in house. Very skilled staff.

I really do encourage you to visit the store and enjoy some time there. There is a WAWA across the street, so you can grab gas and coffee too. Thank you Rocky and your staff for a wonderful day. We are very happy with our purchases.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 24th September 18 at 08:20 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

2. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were there years ago when the place was smaller. I just recently bought a bespoke jacket and waistcoat from them that is being made in Scotland.

Good reporting!

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put USA Kilts on my list of places to visit a long time ago...
    Never run or do jumping jacks while wearing a heavy sporran
    "500 years before Christ was born, a highlander stepped on the bloated carcass of a sheep and the bagpipes were born"
    Stabo (I shall stand)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too!

Being three thousand miles away doesn't help.

Having family in West Virginia, that I visit annually, makes it somewhat feasible.

Still from my mom's house it's an 8 hour drive.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 1st October 18 at 05:49 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte