X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fox blood / Foxblood

Somebody posted a while back about a drink called "Foxblood" but I can't find it with the search function.

Anybody help?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly, Jock Scot mentioned it at some point.
    It was whisky and port wine I believe.
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Profane James For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're right. I wonder whether the whisky should be smokey or smooth....
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...69#post1345069

Jock Scot
    Originally Posted by javankrona

Yes, seriously, it is known as fox blood. The contributor and possibly the inventor is posting on this very thread. It is two parts port and one part brandy.

My wife and I do wine tours. The only thing I have learned is that I do not like cool weather reds. But they are fun.

No, I cannot claim to be the inventor of "fox's blood", it is an old and very traditional flask filler from the hunting(British definition of horses and hounds) world. These days whilst the hunting world still use it, the mixture has also moved into the shooting, fishing and point to point circles as well. `It is also a very traditional and effective "tummy settler" for those who may be feeling a tad delicate.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd August 17 at 08:08 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How on earth did you find it? I tried the search engine and came up cold.

Thanks a million!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    How on earth did you find it? I tried the search engine and came up cold.

Thanks a million!
    I am CIA and finding things is my business

JK, for whatever reason, I just have a way with searching for things...

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by California Highlander View Post
    JK, for whatever reason, I just have a way with searching for things...
    I think ir was decided (in an earlier thread) that you have a knack for these things. I too remember when Jock posted about fox blood, but was sure it was in the "What dram is in your quaich" thread.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah brandy, then. Tastes being so very subjective, I don’t think I could resist giving the smoky whisky a try! Of course, you would have to rename it - Fox’s sweat, etc.
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Profane James For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Fox Blood as a flask fill in the past. A blend of 3 parts port with 1 part brandy. Inexpensive versions of both work fine.
    😉
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a variation mentioned in On The Road by Jack Kerouac - Wine-Spodiodi. Two parts Port, one part Whisky.

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast