X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWK Wool Kilts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SWK Wool Kilts

I was wondering if anyone could speak to the SWK Wool kilt (this is their top-of-the-line model I assume at $150) and how you like it over time. I'm thinking of making a modest-priced (relatively speaking, of course) addition (Saffron, I think) to my wardrobe.

My kilt experience is meager limited to two Celtic Croft kilts (the $100 PV and the $120 wool blend; both of which I like very much especially at the price) and a USAK semi-trad (which is really a nice kilt and I enjoy wearing it very much).

I've read many posts here and have carefully read Ms. T's book - TAoK - gaining quite the appreciation of kilt making in the process. Eventually I'll make my own "tank" but, in the meantime I'd like to get a few more to tide me over, so to speak.

Understanding fully that a $150 kilt (while still a chunk of change to me) is not in the same realm of the proverbial "tank" I'm wondering how folks who have owned one for some time have liked them over time and how they've held up.

Thanks in advance!

I've read many posts from folks who love them out of the box but how do you like them a year later...?
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice.... save for your custom made 8 yd wool kilt. You have a 3 casual/pub kilts so save your coins for the real deal.
    Just my opinion.
    Slainte
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a USA Kilts semi-trad and briefly had one of those saffron wool kilts from Stillwater. There's no comparison, and IMO the Stillwater is overpriced. The fabric was fine, not great, just fine. Is it 100% wool? I suppose, but not of particularly high quality. The color is really nice but I didn't care for the subtle pattern. The quality of the stitching was mediocre. I picked it up second hand and it was coming apart in a number of places. The thing I really hated about it was the extra bulk in the back, due to the pleats not being cut out. I didn't find it to be flattering at all, nor did I find it comfortable to wear. It's silly to expect a $150 kilt to have this level of finishing, and you'll find plenty of people who aren't bothered by this at all, but I still think it's not a very well thought out product. IMO Stillwater is pretty on the money with their lower price point kilts but the wool kilt, it's just a little low rent. Save your 150 bones and put it towards the real deal.
    Last edited by ratspike; 6th October 18 at 08:27 PM.
    Cheers!
    Bob

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ratspike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ratspike View Post
    I The thing I really hated about it was the extra bulk in the back, due to the pleats not being cut out. I didn't find it to be flattering at all, nor did I find it comfortable to wear.
    Of course. It makes sense that the pleats would not be cut out at this price point hence wearing six-ish yards above one's tuchas.

Between this and the last post I agree that I probably won't be happy with this one.

I wonder if anyone has taken a less expensive kilt and modified it/upgraded it themselves by cutting out the pleats, adding steeking, interface, stabilizer, etc.? Not that I'm up for that as if I'm spending the money I'll start from scratch and at least I'll know from whence I started.

I appreciate the advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobinn View Post
    Of course. It makes sense that the pleats would not be cut out at this price point hence wearing six-ish yards above one's tuchas.!
    SWK HW and Standard kilts all have the excess fabric removed behind the pleats, and canvas reinforcing behind the pleats, for about the last 7 years.

Jerry
    SWK
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

8. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Sciuropterus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sciuropterus View Post
    SWK HW and Standard kilts all have the excess fabric removed behind the pleats, and canvas reinforcing behind the pleats, for about the last 7 years.

Jerry
    SWK
    I stand (or more accurately, sit) corrected!

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three SWK heavyweights. Only one is the newer style and the wool is nice, the fit and workmanship very good. I have been nothing but pleased with it and recommend the SWK heavyweights as a very affordable option to get a nice looking wool tartan kilt. Their only downside is that they are very limited in tartan options.

I will try to dig up a formal photo (I have worn mine to several formal events) but here is a fun one from a Tour de Cure event I went to.

Cheers

Jamie

-See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    I have three SWK heavyweights. Only one is the newer style and the wool is nice, the fit and workmanship very good. I have been nothing but pleased with it and recommend the SWK heavyweights as a very affordable option to get a nice looking wool tartan kilt. Their only downside is that they are very limited in tartan options.

I will try to dig up a formal photo (I have worn mine to several formal events) but here is a fun one from a Tour de Cure event I went to.

Cheers

Jamie

And by "newer style" I guess you mean that the pleats have been cut out and stabilizer added as noted by Jerry in previous post?

Again, not to sound like a broken record, but I very much appreciate the time taken but all who've responded to my questions - thank you!

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one a little more dressed up.

It's a darn nice looking wool kilt.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t even notice the kilt with the “Goddess” in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Here is one a little more dressed up.

It's a darn nice looking wool kilt.

Cheers

Jamie
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast