X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 41Gunn View Post
    And thanks to you and all, I am starting to look at my kilt as less a special occasion garment and more of every day attire. I will report true success when I wear it to the home depot (big box store)
    I wear mine every chance I get including Lowe's, which always gets good reaction, but it's like that everywhere. I wore a kilt to play golf over the weekend, and got many reactions (all good). My game sucked more than an ISIS fighter at a petting zoo, but I looked damn good!
    Never run or do jumping jacks while wearing a heavy sporran
    "500 years before Christ was born, a highlander stepped on the bloated carcass of a sheep and the bagpipes were born"
    Stabo (I shall stand)

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The TALL TN Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I've had my kilt the only days I've had to get out and wear it it's been in the 90s and like 90% humidity here in Missouri, but so much more comfortable and cooler than jeans. Definitely going to get more kilts. I've found that my utility kilt looks just fine with tshirts, and my kilt fits fine without a belt, but I did get a light weight utility belt that also looks good with just a t-shirt. Most of my short sleeve button up shirts are too long and loose fitting to look good tucked or untucked,but discovered one nice white button up short sleeve shirt that is just the right fit to look good with the kilt tucked in. The kilt socks I have are not real heavy but since I've just been going casual I just let my socks loosely scrunched up at the top of my boots, very comfortable that way. Looking on this forum and around the net I'm finding how you accessorize is more personal taste than tradition. Starting to get a little cold here now so probably time to pull the socks up and start figuring out coats and jackets.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Impala60 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilts in Florida

I too live in Florida(USA). I generally wear American utility kilts. (I have several, but am now a confirmed Stumptown customer. They have adjustable rows of snaps. Their "small" is 36 to 41 inches, allowing for um, fluctuation.) Utility kilts are fairly lightweight so tend to be cooler than traditional ones.
    I usually wear light colored cotton button up shirts, usually Hawaiian style. Sometimes I leave them hanging out, but consider that that covers up the style amd lines of the kilt. I usually tuck them in. This lets them breathe less, but the sweat soaks into the shirt more than the kilt and I toss the shirt daily, but the kilt itself has less sweat soaked into it, and can be worn another day or two, good when travelling.
    Footwear: I wear Crocs. Many people think them grotesque and tacky, but they do have some that look like casual loafers. I usually wear ankle high socks with them.
    This is what I wear almost all the time here. I even wander into Walmart or Home Depot kilted. The only comments I ever get are compliments.
    Sometimes I get the curiosity thing, usually from inebriated ladies. Surprising how they really didn't want to find out, though.
    Last edited by sharpstick; 19th October 18 at 04:36 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to sharpstick For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    It's fair to say that it's generally sweltering in my part of the world (southeast Texas), with high temperatures and humidity. That said, I've never had any problem wearing 8-yard, 16 oz. wool kilts,

(some where the temperatures were 105 degrees Fahrenheit),
    We had a very hot summer in France.
    Kilts are great between -20C and +30C.

Above 30C just hang it up and forget it.
    You won't catch me wearing one at that temp.
    I go for shorts and sandals anything over 30C.

They are after all CLOTHES, and when it's up at 35C you want to wear as little as possible!

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to estimaa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by estimaa View Post
    We had a very hot summer in France.
    Kilts are great between -20C and +30C.

Above 30C just hang it up and forget it.
    You won't catch me wearing one at that temp.
    I go for shorts and sandals anything over 30C.

They are after all CLOTHES, and when it's up at 35C you want to wear as little as possible!
    In Georgia it is always hot in the summer, and we get more rain than Scotland or Portland; ergo, humidity is often sky high as well.
    Over the years, I have proven to myself at 35C or higher, a kilt is cooler than shorts. Especially if the humidity is above ninety
    percent. Others, incredulous at my suggestion, have nevertheless tried it, and have agreed wholeheartedly kilts are cooler. In both
    senses of cooler, and even with wool hose. Well, occasionally I do notice the hose, but not enough to skip them.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    In Georgia it is always hot in the summer, and we get more rain than Scotland or Portland; ergo, humidity is often sky high as well.
    Over the years, I have proven to myself at 35C or higher, a kilt is cooler than shorts.
    NO WAY,- that is if you don't like the burning stomach syndrome!

I also drive a lot in hot weather, and you will burn up in a kilt!
    Been there, done that, got the DVD, read the book!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123