X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Uncommon tartan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncommon tartan

I recently found a tartan I really like, the Dutch Friendship (so called) ancient or weathered. I saw a thread by a now blocked member about putting in an order for material, and thereby driving down the price per yard ($69) due to bulk. Question 1: Is this permissible, or is that what got him removed (I don’t want to repeat his errors)?
    Question 2: Are there any vendors who already use this tartan? Full disclosure: I’ve contacted Barbara Tewksbury about making a kilt, but the cost for material alone will stop me in my tracks.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Riverkilt was selling a Dutch Friendship tartan kilt recently in the For Sale section of this forum, below is the link

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...73#post1365373

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what member you may be referring to but no one has their membership here revoked without due process. This would require repeated violations of our published forum rules and not a single instance. If you would like to review the process our "Policy for Disciplinary Proceedings and the Resolution of Disputes" is readily available in our "FAQ's". You may click here to go directly to the policy.

That is a totally different subject than the availability of fabric. The Dutch Friendship Tartan was registered on the 7th of Jan. 2006 and is listed with both The Scottish Tartans Authority as #6960 and The Scottish Register of Tartan as no. 1056.

I personally do not know of a weaver who has any of this fabric sitting on a shelf so you may be looking at a custom weave. This can sometimes be an expensive undertaking due to the minimum amount of fabric that can physically fit on a loom. Many weavers will be able to weave as little as 11 meters of double-width fabric at a time. This is just short of enough fabric for three kilts. So of course finding two others to share the expense would be nice.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 7th October 18 at 03:35 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I'm not sure what member you may be referring to but no one has their membership here revoked without due process. This would require repeated violations of our published forum rules and not a single instance. If you would like to review the process our "Policy for Disciplinary Proceedings and the Resolution of Disputes" is readily available in our "FAQ's". You may click here to go directly to the policy.

That is a totally different subject than the availability of fabric. The Dutch Friendship Tartan was registered on the 7th of Jan. 2006 and is listed with both The Scottish Tartans Authority as #6960 and The Scottish Register of Tartan as no. 1056.

I personally do not know of a weaver who has any of this fabric sitting on a shelf so you may be looking at a custom weave. This can sometimes be an expensive undertaking due to the minimum amount of fabric that can physically fit on a loom. Many weavers will be able to weave as little as 11 meters of double-width fabric at a time. This is just short of enough fabric for three kilts. So of course finding two others to share the expense would be nice.
    I didn’t mean to imply that due process wasn’t followed in removing a member, only that a member had been removed, and I wanted to be sure I didn’t start down the wrong path (if indeed the removal and tartan inquiry were related).

Thank you for the info on what it will take to gain access to this tartan- I may have a tough road ahead!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steelkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My memory is foggy at my age now, but do believe a bunch of us on this board banded together to make up the cloth for the minimum run. One member had the idea, pitched it, and did the ordering after we paid him. When it was custom woven the fabric we ordered was shipped to us, or our kiltmaker. Not an uncommon thing back then. Hopefully still happens from time to time.

I've also had my kiltmaker run down unusual fabrics. She usually is successful in finding the material or which mill will custom run it and the details.

Enjoy the Dutch Friendship, if you get a hankerin' for others, having a kiltmaker run it down, or banding with others of the same interest is the way to go.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post: