X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt life with stabilizer vs “jeans made”

How long is the average life expectancy for a kilt made without a stabilizer (jeans made)? On average, how much life does adding the stabilzer provide? I know many factors impact these things, I’m only looking for a general idea so that I can factor the higher cost of a traditionally made kilt over time vs a more inexpensjve kilt over a shorter period.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be about like asking "What is the life expectancy of a pair of slacks?" There are just too many factors to take a guess. The fabric would be one. Is the fabric itself strong and durable? Is the weave tight and even?
    Is the stitching tight and of even tension?
    How is the kilt worn? Is it treated to any rough wear? Is the kilt cleaned regularly and treated with care? How is the kilt stored when it is not worn?
    How often is the kilt worn? Is it worn to events that would put minimal or maximum stress on the garment?

I can tell you for a fact that a kilt with a stabilizer strip will last longer, will look and hang better, that a kilt without one.
    I can tell you for a fact that a kilt made with pride and attention to detail will last long, will look and hang better than one made as quickly and as inexpensively as possible.

So really, it comes down to "What do you want to do in your kilt?" If you want a kilt to wear once or twice to a games or to the pub then a $100.00 Pakistani kilt may be better for you than a custom made kilt with quality fabric and the full internal elements which may set you back $800.00.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, thank you for the perspective!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about a kilt without a stabilizer but my first kilt was given to me by my Dad it was made for him in 1950 when he was 13, he is 81 now, and I have a couple of military kilts that are at least that old so with a stabilizer they can and do last a lifetime.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen this thread? http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-period-70205/

Based on my experience with that, I'll never buy another kilt that doesn't have a proper stabiliser.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Taj

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to emphasis that how a kilt is made does not guarantee that it will have some longer lifespan.

A kilt that is put away with sweat or dirt caked on it will wear out quicker than one that is kept clean.

A kilt that is tossed on the floor after wearing will not last as long as one that is cared for and hung up.

A kilt that is used for paintball or running obstacle courses will not last as long as one worn only for dressy events.

This is a full, military kilt, made with all the internal elements and you would expect it to be of the highest quality and last a lifetime.
    Yet, in fact, it came apart due to lack of care which rotted the cotton thread it was sewn with.

And this kilt was repeatedly hung by the two loops that are not intended for extended use. This damage is now permanent.

If you want your stuff to last - then take care of your stuff.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post: