X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobinn View Post
    OK - Does anyone know of a domestic supplier of the Reiver line? I've looked on Amazon (keeps trying to send over to anything named "River").
    https://www.scottishtradingcompany.c...x&cPath=32_178

Or you can get Lewis hose from Matt Newsome on Amazon with free shipping.

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    https://www.scottishtradingcompany.c...x&cPath=32_178

Or you can get Lewis hose from Matt Newsome on Amazon with free shipping.

SM
    Ah! Scottish Trading Company, obviously I missed them; and an XMarks Partner to boot!
    Now, with regard to Matt Newsome. Is he the one and same as the Matt Newsome of New House Highland on Amazon, kiltmaker per http://kiltmaker.blogspot.com/ and http://www.newhousehighland.com/ and https://albanach.org/?

Must be.
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is he the one and same as the Matt Newsome of New House Highland on Amazon, kiltmaker per http://kiltmaker.blogspot.com/ and http://www.newhousehighland.com/ and https://albanach.org/?
    Indeed it is.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for this thread! I had been looking everywhere for the rannoch range from a US based merchant. The final cost ordering directly from HoC can get prohibitive after shipping and tariffs. Just ordered a pair of the mustard from scottish trading company, which will look great with my County Cavan tartan. Cheers!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a reminder that the House of Cheviot are an dvertiser here. Their add can be found on the lower banner.

They have their own forum section. If you have questions about any of their products, or would like to locate the nearest retailer, all you need do is post your question in their section.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would NOT recommend Amazon for HOC socks, even though I have previously bought at least seven pairs of socks and several garter ties there. At least twice they sent me the wrong color garters but they were close so I didn't complain. One pair of socks came in too tight and too long, as if the same amount of material was in the sock but just in the wrong place.

After quite a while and hearing another person complain about the same Ancient blue color being too tight also, I contacted them and they said send them back. I mailed them back and tracking said they received them, but can't get them to respond to messages now. If they weren't going to exchange or refund fine, but what makes me mad is I spent additional money on shipping for nothing. Great service.... NOT!

I think HOC gives a nice discount for using watchuseek promo code also, probably pays for shipping.
    Last edited by tokareva; 14th October 18 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...OK - so I see on HOC shipping is about $16-ish and there's a note about paying duties and such. From those who have ordered directly from HOC what does all that add to an order? I've got my my eye on the Reiver line but if shipping and duty will add another 50% it makes more sense to go ahead and order the Lewis hose form a domestic supplier such as USAK. Does anyone know of a domestic supplier of the Reiver line? I've looked on Amazon (keeps trying to send over to anything named "River")....
    I've done lots of importing from the UK, both personal & business. If memory is correct, under $750-$850 is allowed in without duties. I recently had a large box of Range Rover bits sent over (misc. bits, & a pair of front fenders), DHL was about $35. I thought it was a bargain. And, no duties. When I was in the race spares business, everything came in from England. We managed to get duties down to 13%-15%. It varied based upon what the item was. Sometimes one had to be judicious with the truth. A transaxle gearset (2 gears) would come in at +/-18.5%. My clearing agent called me one day, & said the gearsets were 'machine parts'. I asked what made the (transmission) gearsets, machine parts. She replied with, "6% less duty!". With shipments up to £280,000, any percent saved was usually a sizable amount. Sadly, it was normally take away due to the, then, grossly rising exchange. About that time it was £1 = $2+.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Baeau For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Torbinn, always keep in mind quality and longevity, if those two virtues are even mildly important to you. To put it another way, it's not all about today's expenditure. My brother and two of my cousins still wear those knitted by my grandmother 80+ years ago. I'm fortunate in having a wife who knits mine -- in her spare time. In some future post I'll flash her many and diverse answers to her own call for new hose for me.

In the meanwhile, House of Cheviot is my vote for an alternative to handknit, and your choice of pattern is mine, too.
    Well, the Reiver (the wildbroom) from HOC via the Scottish Trading Company is on its way. I strongly suspect that over time, the remaining three Reiver colours will make their way through the post to my address...

Thanks all for the advice and links!
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobinn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Wandered the same kilt hose maze. Wound up enjoying the Lewis hose best. Long lasting. Got mine from Matt at the Scottish Tartans Museum.

Should add that I also like the really thick ones from Rocky at USA Kilts.
    Hey there,

I have noticed that you live in the south-west. What hose works best for you in that heat, may I ask?

Thank you,
    Jonathan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No hose works best in the heat.

I wear kilt hose when its cool enough to, go without when it warms up.

Sandals come out too. Freedom AND comfort!
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast