X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Differences in Kilt Hose

I've done a quick look to past posts regarding types of kilt hose and was quickly overwhelmed by the sheer number of posts. If there's a prior post somewhere which address my question(s) please point me in the right direction. Otherwise, any advice and thoughts are, as always, welcome.

I've got a collection of inexpensive cotton hose from sockdreams.com; at $8 to $10 a pair you can get four or five pair without flinching and they've proven comfortable wear for subtropical heat. They're also perfect for just wearing on errands and such.

I also have two of the Colored Kilt Hose from USAK and they are very nice and certainly look more refined than the "cheap-n-cheerful" sockdreams. I tend to wear these at work (yes, they tolerate my kilt on casual Fridays and even during this month of October during my department's Wednesdays "Jeans Day for the United Way" fundraiser where a $10 donation lets one wear jeans, or in my case a kilt, on Wednesdays this October).

As cooler (relatively) weather will, hopefully, arrive any month now (here in Clearwater, Florida, USA) my thoughts are turning to picking up a couple pair of nice kilt hose. It seems that House of Cheviot is one of the main producers of kilt hose (at least they're the ones that keep coming up on searches).

To get to the point, I see the following:
    Glenmore
    Glencoe
    Harris
    Hebridean
    Lewis
    Reiver (the wildbroom is quite nice looking IMHO)
    Rannoch

There are, as you know, more but prices become more than I care to pay - certainly $60-ish should be more than enough for a good pair of socks.

I was wondering if there's a description somewhere that provides the differences in these different models? (There's another model in the $25-ish range, glenbraigh? glenbaigh? I saw it and promptly forgot how to spell it and then couldn't find it again.)

And I did see Mr. Ashton's video showing how he makes hose on his fantastic kilt-thoserator 3000 machine-thingy and I need no convincing that a good pair of kilt hose are worth the price. I'm just trying to get the difference in the models.
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobinn View Post
    I've done a quick look to past posts regarding types of kilt hose and was quickly overwhelmed by the sheer number of posts. If there's a prior post somewhere which address my question(s) please point me in the right direction. Otherwise, any advice and thoughts are, as always, welcome.

<deleted stuff>

To get to the point, I see the following:
    Glenmore
    Glencoe
    Harris
    Hebridean
    Lewis
    Reiver (the wildbroom is quite nice looking IMHO)
    Rannoch

There are, as you know, more but prices become more than I care to pay - certainly $60-ish should be more than enough for a good pair of socks.

I was wondering if there's a description somewhere that provides the differences in these different models? (There's another model in the $25-ish range, glenbraigh? glenbaigh? I saw it and promptly forgot how to spell it and then couldn't find it again.)

And I did see Mr. Ashton's video showing how he makes hose on his fantastic kilt-thoserator 3000 machine-thingy and I need no convincing that a good pair of kilt hose are worth the price. I'm just trying to get the difference in the models.
    This might help.

Glenmore: http://scottishkilthose.com/glenmore-kilt-hose/
    Glencoe: http://scottishkilthose.com/glencoe-kilt-hose/

Both are 50/50 merino and acrylic, one with a cable top, one with a diamond top.

The other, more expensive Cheviot lines likely have a higher merino content. Lewis, as found on the USA Kilts site, says 85% 3 ply Merino wool / 15% Nylon & Lycra, and Harris is usually mentioned in most descriptions as good for larger calves. I have some Lewis that come in around the $50 price range, and they have held up well.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I acquired my first pair of House of Cheviot Lewis hose, I quit buying cheaper hose. I also own a few pair of the HOC Rannoch hose, which are virtually identical to the Lewis hose, but are available in earthier colors.

I can’t speak to the other lines, but I have the aforementioned Lewis and Rannoch, plus argyle topped and diced hose from HOC. They aren’t inexpensive, but in this case at least, you get what you pay for.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll agree that you get what you pay for, some of my Lewis hose have lasted a decade or more and that is with regular wear. I do have a pair of the SHETLAND (Highfell) hose that I love but they were a bit of money. If you can get hand knit that is about as good as it gets but House of Cheviot is not far behind.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The primary difference in all the models offered by HOC is just style. Which style of cuff do you like or if you prefer a different pattern.

The primary difference in the cost is because the HOC hose are wool where the Sock Dream socks are primarily cotton. The world has seen a huge increase in the cost of wool over the past 10 years. The cost of almost anything made of wool has almost doubled in that time. Merino is the redheads of the wool world with the thinnest, finest fibers.

Yarn spun primarily for socks will usually be a blend of wool and usually between 10% and 25% Nylon for strength. Specifically in the heel and toe. Some socks are a blend of many different fibers such as Acrylic and even elastic.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 13th October 18 at 01:07 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    The primary difference in all the models offered by HOC is just style. Which style of cuff do you like or if you prefer a different pattern.

The primary difference in the cost is because the HOC hose are wool where the Sock Dream socks are primarily cotton. The world has seen a huge increase in the cost of wool over the past 10 years. The cost of almost anything made of wool has almost doubled in that time. Merino is the redheads of the wool world with the thinnest, finest fibers.

Yarn spun primarily for socks will usually be a blend of wool and usually between 10% and 25% Nylon for strength. Specifically in the heel and toe. Some socks are a blend of many different fibers such as Acrylic and even elastic.
    Oh yes, I agree with regard to the difference between sock dream socks and HOC. There was never a question in my mind on that - the sock dream socks are cheap-n-cheerful (as my dad would say) and I bought several pair pretty much to bum around in and for the heat and so have a few colors form which to choose while I get better quality socks.

With regard to the difference in the HOC products I noted, I had a feeling it was going to boil down to mostly style but I thought perhaps there'd be something else such as better reinforced heels and toes or something.

Thanks for the responses!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wandered the same kilt hose maze. Wound up enjoying the Lewis hose best. Long lasting. Got mine from Matt at the Scottish Tartans Museum.

Should add that I also like the really thick ones from Rocky at USA Kilts.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 13th October 18 at 04:07 PM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - so I see on HOC shipping is about $16-ish and there's a note about paying duties and such. From those who have ordered directly from HOC what does all that add to an order? I've got my my eye on the Reiver line but if shipping and duty will add another 50% it makes more sense to go ahead and order the Lewis hose form a domestic supplier such as USAK. Does anyone know of a domestic supplier of the Reiver line? I've looked on Amazon (keeps trying to send over to anything named "River").

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Torbinn, always keep in mind quality and longevity, if those two virtues are even mildly important to you. To put it another way, it's not all about today's expenditure. My brother and two of my cousins still wear those knitted by my grandmother 80+ years ago. I'm fortunate in having a wife who knits mine -- in her spare time. In some future post I'll flash her many and diverse answers to her own call for new hose for me.

In the meanwhile, House of Cheviot is my vote for an alternative to handknit, and your choice of pattern is mine, too.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to what ThistleDown says above I was recently given hand knit hose which belonged to a grandfather so like a good quality kilt or sporran, good quality hand knit hose can outlive you and become heirloom pieces.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast