X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! When my rural western Massachusetts summer heats up, I wear my Bedrock sandals or -- at most -- the Medieval Moccasins. I try to keep my Palladium/Dr Martens boot habit up for as long as possible but my comfort comes before my looks.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    No hose works best in the heat.

I wear kilt hose when its cool enough to, go without when it warms up.

Sandals come out too. Freedom AND comfort!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once it gets up into the 80s I go with solid calf-length socks scrunshed down a bit. Cooler than that I've found that cotton hose (I got several pair from sockdreams but there are other providers - USAK has cotton kilt hose added to their inventory relatively recently) works well and save the wool kilt hose for 70s and cooler.
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobinn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobinn View Post
    Once it gets up into the 80s I go with solid calf-length socks scrunshed down a bit. Cooler than that I've found that cotton hose (I got several pair from sockdreams but there are other providers - USAK has cotton kilt hose added to their inventory relatively recently) works well and save the wool kilt hose for 70s and cooler.
    Thanks! I wonder how the merino wool (not heavy wool) kilt hose would fare against the cotton?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    I would NOT recommend Amazon for HOC socks, even though I have previously bought at least seven pairs of socks and several garter ties there. At least twice they sent me the wrong color garters but they were close so I didn't complain. One pair of socks came in too tight and too long, as if the same amount of material was in the sock but just in the wrong place.

After quite a while and hearing another person complain about the same Ancient blue color being too tight also, I contacted them and they said send them back. I mailed them back and tracking said they received them, but can't get them to respond to messages now. If they weren't going to exchange or refund fine, but what makes me mad is I spent additional money on shipping for nothing. Great service.... NOT!

I think HOC gives a nice discount for using watchuseek promo code also, probably pays for shipping.
    I recently visited the Scottish Tartan Museum in Franklin, NC. In their shop, they had quite a large selection of HoC hose and garter ties. Prices there were very reasonable and I’m sure I’d have saved quite a bit in shipping as I had also just prior, bought a pair of hose from HoC.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to javankrona For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    I would NOT recommend Amazon for HOC socks, even though I have previously bought at least seven pairs of socks and several garter ties there. At least twice they sent me the wrong color garters but they were close so I didn't complain. One pair of socks came in too tight and too long, as if the same amount of material was in the sock but just in the wrong place.

After quite a while and hearing another person complain about the same Ancient blue color being too tight also, I contacted them and they said send them back. I mailed them back and tracking said they received them, but can't get them to respond to messages now. If they weren't going to exchange or refund fine, but what makes me mad is I spent additional money on shipping for nothing. Great service.... NOT!

I think HOC gives a nice discount for using watchuseek promo code also, probably pays for shipping.
    I've made sure that the seller on Amazon was New House Highland (Matt Newsome's shop) and I have no complaints so far. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

For others reading this, also keep in mind that Rocky and crew at USA Kilts can probably order any HoC items you're looking for. And if you're in Canada, Freedom Kilts may be your best option.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to huntgathergrow For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntgathergrow View Post
    I've made sure that the seller on Amazon was New House Highland (Matt Newsome's shop) and I have no complaints so far. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

For others reading this, also keep in mind that Rocky and crew at USA Kilts can probably order any HoC items you're looking for. And if you're in Canada, Freedom Kilts may be your best option.
    I just got some HoC hose from Matt @ New House Highland, and I'm in Canada. It was fast, well priced, and arrived without issue. Canadians will have no issues supporting Matt and New House Highland, with their business.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123