X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage collection on Ebay

Amazing collection of vintage silver accoutrements: sporran, brooch, buckles, buttons, sgian, dirk.

I wonder where the date "1873" was arrived at. The hallmarks evidently don't give the date?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-1...p2056016.l4276

I've looked through hundreds of Victorian photos of men in Highland Dress and the impression one gets is that small modern sporrans like that didn't appear until the early 20th century. They seem to first appear as deerskin Day Dress sporrans, and are more or less updated reproductions of 18th century sporrans. In Evening Dress the long hair sporrans held on a bit longer.

So seeing a white Evening sporran with the 18th century style cantle from 1873 seems to be an outlier (if the date is correct). If I was given photos of that sporran and asked for a date, without a datable hallmark or other provenance, I would put that sporran at c1920.

The fact that they call it a "sputton" and a "broach" makes me question how much they know.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 16th October 18 at 03:34 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when these items appeared on the TV program, "Antique Roadshow". I was amazed at the price then and still find it high. As we say in Oxford, "They sure are proud of their stuff."

It is strange that they have not removed either blade from their sheaves. A bit of penetrating oil (and patience) would fix that issue. Thanks for bringing this to the Rabble's attention.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

They say it was appraised on Antiques Roadshow Season 18 Knoxville Tennessee.

I've been navigating the PBS site and it looks like that episode is split into three different videos? Not sure which on this item appears on.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "My beloved America, thank you for your children. If your children want to become soldiers I will train them. When they are hungry I will feed them. When they are thirsty I will give them water. When they fight for freedom I will lead them. When they are unsteady on the battlefield I will motivate them. If they die on the battlefield I will bury them. So help me God."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The buttons are interesting. I wish I could make e-bay zoom in. They look to have different designs on them.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Silver Makers' Mark on the buckle in the video from the link in the listing certainly looks like the mark of Edinburgh silver smith William Marshall from that time period, doesn't mean that the sporran is necessarily from the same time period though
    William Marshall subsequently William Marshall & Son 1802..1821 Buckle, decanter label, flatware, napkin ring, tea service

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice collection, to much for my bankbook. I rather make antiques buying new and enjoying now. As some have stated so many forgeries out there hard to tell real from fake, especially to a novice. Too much of a risk for that much money.

As far as how the experts determine value, value is only what a person is will to pay for that item. You could say its work a million dollars, but if you only are able to sell it for a dollar the true value is a dollar.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 17th October 18 at 08:59 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post: