X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 230Ball View Post
    Is it acceptable to wear more common tweed-type jackets with the kilt, or does the kilt demand a particular cut in the jacket? There are many fine tweed hunting/day jackets that would look great with the kilt, but I don't know if length and the number of buttons makes a difference.
    While it can be done, there are reasons why it shouldn't IMHO, firstly the length of a regular jacket interferes with the pleats of the kilt, secondly it interferes with the sporran as there is no cut out for one, thirdly it looks sloppy even if it fits everywhere else it looks too big due to the length of the jacket and high waist of the kilt.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gentlemen, I'm glad I asked! As I will be sticking with kilt jackets, are the traditional epaulettes, cuffs, etc. more a matter of taste?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of those are personal preference (although there will be those who will argue with me). Flat epaulettes, braided epaulettes, no epaulettes... all your choice. Look at the pictures and pick the ones you like.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 230Ball View Post
    Thanks Gentlemen, I'm glad I asked! As I will be sticking with kilt jackets, are the traditional epaulettes, cuffs, etc. more a matter of taste?
    My first jacket , currently the only one is dark grey Crail with gauntlet cuffs and plain epaulettes, the new one I have just ordered from St Kilda is a woodland green Braemar with braided epaulettes.

They also do a more modern look with straight epaulettes and plain cuff, most jacket makers will cater to your needs unless they are outrageous, so have a look around and see what you think looks best and then have a chat with your preferred supplier to see if they will supply it.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nomad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an Episcopal priest, I wear a lot of black, but when it comes to my kilt outfit I never once even considered anything but a Lovat green day jacket.

DE8D6B0F-4044-4490-A3C7-B177ADA727E1.jpg
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntgathergrow View Post
    My personal default is charcoal, if you're going to have just one. Reason being that it will go with all colors. ��
    It certainly does that and, in my opinion, looks really smart. I think it would work very well with your family tartan.

Last edited by Bruce Scott; 20th October 18 at 09:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce,
    It's an interesting coincidence that you posted photos of HRH. He is probably the most visible of public figures in kilt attire and always looks spot-on, IMO. The photos of him in "contemporary" jacket is what threw the proverbial monkey wrench in my decision-making. I like the look of the jacket and also agree that the charcoal looks great. It now appears that I will have to squirrel away more lunch money to buy both green and charcoal jackets/vests!

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to 230Ball For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit late to the discussion, but when I lived in the UK, the older (my age, baby boomer) fashion guru's had an adage "Blue and green should never be seen". Since your family tartan is predominantly blue... Charcoal would work with almost anything but can appear a little dull; how about a dark navy blue jacket to give a little contrast to the light blue of your kilt or, if you prefer something lighter, Lovatt blue, rather than green? Can't comment on waistcoats, never owned one! I bow to the greater knowledge of others on the hose but you can guess what I'd do!

Ultimately, it's what you think best suits you and the style you wish to present.
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would try the Charcoal Grey as others have mentioned, but also dark blue (as far as possible from the blue in the tartan).

Here's a wonderful dark blue tweed. I've seen an even darker blue tweed in person, very nice for your kilt.

Normally I would avoid white or blue with any accessories worn with a white & blue kilt, but this blue is so much darker that it doesn't match in the least.

With Highland Dress you have three large colour-areas jacket/kilt/hose and it's more effective if all three contrast and coordinate rather than match. If any two match you're throwing away a third of your opportunity for an effective look.

Complimentary colours on the colour-wheel are directly across and are the basis for many classic colour combinations such and the red and green seen at Christmas and as the basis for so many tartans. To compliment blue you would use orange (Van Gogh relied much upon it).

My eye doesn't see green working with that tartan, or brown, but you never know until you try it.

I might mention that there are other greens besides Lovat green, like this soft grey-green that I have

Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd October 18 at 06:27 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies in advance. I just have to share, when I view the ‘new posts’ page, my eyes see this thread as ‘Green Day’ for a second.
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Profane James For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast