X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My auto-correct certainly thought I was talking about a lovat “Green Day” jacket in my message above ... took several tries to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Profane James View Post
    Apologies in advance. I just have to share, when I view the ‘new posts’ page, my eyes see this thread as ‘Green Day’ for a second.
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I think I would try the Charcoal Grey as others have mentioned, but also dark blue (as far as possible from the blue in the tartan).

Here's a wonderful dark blue tweed. I've seen an even darker blue tweed in person, very nice for your kilt.

Normally I would avoid white or blue with any accessories worn with a white & blue kilt, but this blue is so much darker that it doesn't match in the least.

With Highland Dress you have three large colour-areas jacket/kilt/hose and it's more effective if all three contrast and coordinate rather than match. If any two match you're throwing away a third of your opportunity for an effective look.

Complimentary colours on the colour-wheel are directly across and are the basis for many classic colour combinations such and the red and green seen at Christmas and as the basis for so many tartans. To compliment blue you would use orange (Van Gogh relied much upon it).

My eye doesn't see green working with that tartan, or brown, but you never know until you try it.

I might mention that there are other greens besides Lovat green, like this soft grey-green that I have
    Awesome! I like the blue and especially the grey-green!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen photos of folk in rust and dark reddish tweeds that would go very well for you.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    I have seen photos of folk in rust and dark reddish tweeds that would go very well for you.

I've been seeing a lot of tweed jackets recently in a colour called "peat" which is beautiful. It seems to "go with" many tartans.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been seeing a lot of tweed jackets recently in a colour called "peat" which is beautiful. It seems to "go with" many tartans.
    Pix, please, Richard; I'm intrigued....

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious about this too and would like to see it. If I had to guess, I would think it's more of an olive-ish colour. Somehow, this has become my favourite of all colour ranges because (as you said) it goes with everything. It's neutral, but not in a dull way like grey hues. It just doesn't clash with anything. If I were buying a newly-made tweed jacket today, an olive/peat jacket in a windowpane pattern would be my immediate choice.

For me personally, the real advantage of tweed is its ability to "go with" almost any other colour. And I have to say, modern tweeds that I've seen don't really have the same properties as vintage tweeds that were woven with numerous coloured yarns all mixed together. It seems that the modern tweeds are more monochrome, trying to focus on one single hue for the background, and only adding other colours if they are putting a pattern on it (like checks/windowpanes). Has anyone else noticed that? Have modern tweeds lost their flexibility?

This is an example of one of my vintage tweed jackets (my latest acquisition), just as an example. I count at least 6 different colour yarns in the weave: white/cream, yellowish-green, medium green, forest green, beige, and orange. The genius of this is that it sort of all blends into one colour from a distance, but the colour you see has a chameleon effect depending on what else you're wearing with it or even what lighting you're in. When I put it next to a dark tartan like Blackwatch, it looks brownish. When I put it next to a weathered tartan with browns, it looks more green. When I put it next to a tartan with a lot of green, it tends to look grey.

So, for my money, the most versatile jacket is a good vintage style tweed. I just don't see any way to go wrong with it.

10. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peat HOE

Not sure if this is what Richard is referring to but I did spend quite a bit of time looking before I settled on the moss green crail jacket from House of Edgar. I've attached an image from their website of the jacket in peat.

CrPeatCollage.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did find a Peat color jacket and vest on House of Edgar's site. It's looks great, I think.

CrPeatCollage.jpg

Edit: Well now I see that Miller6582's post had the Peat color, but I read Moss and thought that's what was posted. Apologies.
    Last edited by huntgathergrow; 25th October 18 at 08:06 AM. Reason: I'm blind.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Tobus on this, there is a depth in vintage tweed not seen in the modern variants. Even if it is a simple tweed the vintage ones just seem to have more colour in them. One colour that seems to have fallen by the wayside is brown. I have a vintage jacket in brown Harris Tweed that I am wearing today that I really like and it works well with many tartans that you would not expect.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love green kilt jackets. If I had to pick just one color jacket to go with the kilt, it would be some shade of green. However, like McMurdo, I find brown is also very versatile and a bit unexpected.

Unfortunately, I don't have any tweed jackets older than the 1980s, and those are regular "saxon" cut for wearing with pants.

Someday I hope to find a vintage jacket or two, but there's no point shopping eBay when I'm in China. The shipping would be far too costly, slow, and potentially complicated.

Andrew

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast