X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovat Green Day Jacket

I'm considering a lovat green day jacket and vest to wear with a family tartan (below). However, the thought of a grey jacket/vest may be more compatible with the blue and black hues. Any suggestions?

Also, would the hose color match the jacket or be complimentary to the kilt?

Cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal default is charcoal, if you're going to have just one. Reason being that it will go with all colors. With that said, I'm drawn to the lovat green as well. It's always a struggle between what I want, what I actually NEED and what I can afford. 🙂

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to huntgathergrow For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all comes down to individual choice, of course but personally I would choose lovat green.
    Steve.

"We, the kilted ones, are ahead of the curve" -
    Bren.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started wearing the kilt I got a charcoal argyll jacket with a waistcoat and wore it often and would say it is a versitile piece to have in your wardrobe. Having said that as the years go by the charcoal set normally sits in the closet in favour of one of my others, including my lovat green jacket. If it were me now I would purchase the lovat green set. As for hose I would pair it with claret, St. Andrews blue, lovat blue, or lovat green. Basically any colour you like is fine for kilt hose depending on the look you want to go for.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have one jacket that seems to fit all the occasions you encounter (Lovet green in your case) different color vests can change the mood of any ensemble. I think a burgundy or camel (light tan) colored vest could work as well as grey (mentioned before) or a Lovet vest.

Other threads have expanded into shirt, hose and tie colors with only one jacket or kilt. A budget can dictate but not control the options available when putting a kit together. Please post photos of the combination you come up with.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your comments! The charcoal is definitely a viable option to consider.

Not to complicate this further, but would charcoal dictate black shoes/belt and brown shoes/belt for the lovat green? Or do you have a "go to" for all combinations? I'm probably over-thinking this!

Cheers

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you're over-thinking it. But that's OK; it's what we do here.

I see charcoal as being fine, but sort of "meh". It's very drab, dull, and devoid of any visual interest. That can be a good thing when worn in certain scenarios where a subdued look is appropriate, but for me that makes it not what I'd want to wear all the time. I would definitely be going with Lovat green, Lovat blue, or an earthy-coloured tweed for a do-it-all jacket.

11. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Yes, you're over-thinking it. But that's OK; it's what we do here.

I see charcoal as being fine, but sort of "meh". It's very drab, dull, and devoid of any visual interest. That can be a good thing when worn in certain scenarios where a subdued look is appropriate, but for me that makes it not what I'd want to wear all the time. I would definitely be going with Lovat green, Lovat blue, or an earthy-coloured tweed for a do-it-all jacket.
    Depending on the person, a little 'meh' to go with a kilt may be preferred. A kilt already has a lot of 'wham' to it.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to huntgathergrow For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks again for your wise comments! I am very new to wearing the kilt and grateful for everyone's patience.

I have been looking at both charcoal and lovat green jackets, and just now realized the predominant traditional tailoring (epaulettes, cuffs, etc.) contrasting with more contemporary jacket styles, which may offer more convenient options. Is it acceptable to wear more common tweed-type jackets with the kilt, or does the kilt demand a particular cut in the jacket? There are many fine tweed hunting/day jackets that would look great with the kilt, but I don't know if length and the number of buttons makes a difference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Credit to Eric from USA Kilts for this metaphor, but a trouser-length jacket with a kilt will make you look like a kid trying on his daddy's suit. So beyond things like tradition and "acceptability", it'll just look goofy, thus would I (and no doubt everyone else here) advise against it.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast