X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phillabeg vs “normal” kilt

I like the tartan choices you have at the Celtic Croft site, but I’m confused with one of your offerings: the phillabeg. I understand that the basic form is just pleated tartan worn with a belt, but with the cheater pleats and buckles, how is it different from a “normal” kilt (normal defined as the most commonly seen/discussed kilts on this site)? Thanks!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    I like the tartan choices you have at the Celtic Croft site, but I’m confused with one of your offerings: the phillabeg. I understand that the basic form is just pleated tartan worn with a belt, but with the cheater pleats and buckles, how is it different from a “normal” kilt (normal defined as the most commonly seen/discussed kilts on this site)? Thanks!

The phillabeg with cheater pleats doesn't have as finished of a look. It is more rustic in appearence. The biggest difference would be the tartan overhang at the top that also acts to cover the straps and buckles. Therefore, you really don't know that the pleats are sewn in thus the name Cheater Pleats. I hope this helps. Thanks for your interest , Steve
    Steve Johnson
    Customer Service
    The Celtic Croft
    http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/