X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Box Pleat Kilt shop

I’m in Nor Cal, and I ran across a website for a kilt maker in Sacramento, The Box Pleat Kilt shop (https://www.boxpleatkilt.com). Anyone used them?

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steelkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steelkilt,

I have never used the Box Pleat Kilt Shop, but I do follow some of Joshua's posts on FB, and he seems to be the real deal. Photos I have seen of his work look good. Sorry I can't give you more than that.

Robert

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Josh is a former member of this forum and was the owner of the now defunct Skye Highland Outfitters.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I believe Josh is a former member of this forum and was the owner of the now defunct Skye Highland Outfitters.
    Yup that’s the same fellow
    David

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 kilts from Josh, although they were made by a former associate, Gabriel Everson. Well made kilts. Josh also makes custom sporrans.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If memory serves, expansion and health issues led to struggles and some bad comments, but his work seemed to be well received.
    Good to see folk bounce back.

I believe Gabe is still working in middle America. Film and theater costumer as well as kiltmaker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    If memory serves, expansion and health issues led to struggles and some bad comments, but his work seemed to be well received.
    Good to see folk bounce back.

I believe Gabe is still working in middle America. Film and theater costumer as well as kiltmaker.
    Tripleblessed, I think you may be thinking about another kiltmaker - John Hart from Keltoi. He is my kiltmaker and did go through a rough patch there a couple of years ago.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post
    Tripleblessed, I think you may be thinking about another kiltmaker - John Hart from Keltoi. He is my kiltmaker and did go through a rough patch there a couple of years ago.
    John Hart (slohairt was his username here, as I recall) did have some similar issues, yes, but I do think Tripleblessed version of Josh Brown's background is accurate. At least, that's how I remember it. My first wool 8-yard kilt was from Josh, as well as some custom Argyle hose, a horse hair sporran, etc. He started his business with very competitive costs and a lot of effort in marketing. There were some, shall we say, quality issues with some of his goods. But overall I think people were happy with what they got. It's just that his attention to the business started to falter and eventually disappeared. And as I recall it was a health issue, or at least that's what he said. I think there were some issues here at XMTS with the way he was conducting business, but I don't want to reopen old wounds so I'll say no more about that.

Seeing his new website, I recognise some of the kilt photos as being the same ones he used in his previous business. And the prices have risen quite a bit.

I can't speak to the quality of any of his newly-made kilts or anything else. But if he's using the same source for custom patterned hose as he did before, they are amazing. I'll be curious to see any reviews from people who happen to order anything from him. Not just quality, but customer service as well. Despite whatever may have happened in his previous business venture, I hope he is doing well.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus, thanks for the correction. I don't recall Josh at all here, so that may have been before my time.

For what it's worth, Josh moderates/sponsors a page on Facebook, and did spark quite a controversy a couple of weeks ago with the age-old "traditional kilt complete with hair canvass vs cheap" Pakistani made" debate. His construction methods seem to indicate quality, but I can't comment on the final results.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I f Josh is the same person formerly known here as "NorCalPiper", then I'm wearing one of his kilts (Auld Scotland box-pleat) right now; handing goodies out to the ghouls and Jedi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast