X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by estimaa View Post
    That's funny, why do Jaguars and kilts (& some scots) always go together.
    Must be in the DNA.

Walkinshaw was a terrible example, but he was also involved in those things.

(I have the same engine in my Jaguar,- one of the best ever made in the UK.)
    Not always Jag's......

Image lifted from CollinMacD's thread: [photos} richmond celtic festive 2018
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Baeau For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Feel free to post your thoughts and observations on direct public interactions while you were kilted.
    Being a piper means performing in public while kilted. Obviously not much interaction can happen while you're blowing on the pipes! But beforehand and afterwards there are always direct public interactions.

I feel that it's a duty, and part of my role as a piper, to be an ambassador of sorts for the pipes, for Highland Dress, for Gaelic culture, for Scottish history. I know many pipers don't feel this way. To them the pipes are a mere musical instrument, and Highland Dress is an annoying requirement. They're in public to make music, and know or care nothing about Highland history or culture. They would much rather perform the pipes wearing ordinary clothes.

I always get questions about the pipes and Highland Dress. Sometimes questions about Scottish culture or history. Oftentimes it's simply a question about the tartan I'm wearing, or what my sporran is made of. Sometimes people share stories about their travels in Scotland. I love these chats! Especially about travelling in Britain, and British history.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd November 18 at 07:05 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experiences are very much like Jonathan's. I never get negative comments, but lots of supportive ones. Since I live in China, there are always people with friendly questions (not usually the one you're thinking of). People always admire the way the kilt looks and are curious about the traditions and accessories of kilt-wearing.

I am very happily married, but do regret that I did not take up the kilt when I was single. Had I done so, it would have been a more adventurous time for me. My college-age son made this discovery when I loaned him a kilt for a New Year's party a few years ago in Shanghai.

Andrew

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    Not always Jag's......

Image lifted from CollinMacD's thread: [photos} richmond celtic festive 2018
    (Snipped image for length)

Oh, the Triumph Spitfire! I had one of those for the longest time, in red. I loved that car (when it was running).
    Now I have a Mini Cooper. We pretend it's British, not German.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Wareyin For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12