X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interaction with the public

Here is a photo from a few years ago. I am among thousands of folks attending a pre-game (aka. tailgating) American football contest. I was then and am still, the only one wearing a kilt to this event. I try to look my best because I also present the Model A Ford (dedicated to the spirit of the local University) shown in the second photo. I have observed that the car draws attention more than I do. People aren't as ready and willing to approach me when I am in my kilt without the car.

However, once engaged, people are quick to ask questions. Other times I have worn my kilt (parties, award dinners, etc) I am met with pleasant nods and smiles (unless I meet someone that knows me and understands my love for extended conversation).

I have the mindset that I am the same person either kilted today, work outfit tomorrow, bathing suit at the lake or nude in the shower (during my awful singing rehearsals). I stand a bit taller and feel the uniqueness of my attire when kilted and enjoy the sensation, wishing everyone could feel that way.

Feel free to post you're thoughts and observations on direct public interactions while you were kilted.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that I have more interaction with people when I am wearing a kilt. I get way better service at the liquor store when I am standing in front of the scotch section in my kilt than when I am wearing jeans. I also find that I stand out in a good way and for some reason it makes me more approachable to people. By the way I love your Car, looks good. My Dad has a 28 Dodge Brothers sedan, a Chev 28 coupe, and a 50 Chev truck and I love to help him at all the car shows. I have never done it kilted ....yet. Might have too next time.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Styckbow For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted at football games

I have gone to several Louisiana State University and Mississippi State games kilted. Always get alot of comments. Haven't made it to an University of Mississippi game yet.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Styckbow View Post
    By the way I love your Car, looks good. My Dad has a 28 Dodge Brothers sedan, a Chev 28 coupe, and a 50 Chev truck and I love to help him at all the car shows. I have never done it kilted ....yet. Might have too next time.
    Be prepared to explain how to enter and exit your car while kilted. These questions will come up.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I have gone to several Louisiana State University and Mississippi State games kilted. Always get alot of comments. Haven't made it to an University of Mississippi game yet.
    You're always welcome in Oxford.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I know, it's terrible. At car shows it is the car that gets all the attention. No one ever notices the guy in the kilt.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's funny, why do Jaguars and kilts (& some scots) always go together.
    Must be in the DNA.

Walkinshaw was a terrible example, but he was also involved in those things.

(I have the same engine in my Jaguar,- one of the best ever made in the UK.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Yea, I know, it's terrible. At car shows it is the car that gets all the attention. No one ever notices the guy in the kilt.

Geoff Nicholsby's numberplate was always "K1LTS". Maybe Howie inherited it, I don't know.

Alan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I wear a kilt, I often receive far more second looks, high-fives, and compliments than when I don't. I have had all sorts of people from a variety of backgrounds and social circles and ages approach me and talk to me about the kilt or anything related to the kilt. If people have had negative or rude things to say, they have had the respect to keep it to themselves.

I am a very happily married man and I wouldn't want to change that at all but if I had worn a kilt when I was a single man ... I would've enjoyed a very different time at that point in my life.

While I enjoy the social interactions with people who have a Scottish connection in their life, I particularly enjoy the connections from people who have absolutely not connection with Scotland and are simply curious and interested in what I wear and why.

My students call me, "the Kilted Wonder." Ha!

Best,
    Jonathan

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been surprised at how overwhelmingly positive the remarks I get in public tend to be. On the street I think maybe I've gotten two smart alecks asking me inappropriate questions, as opposed to legions of "love the kilt" and "that's awesome" responses.

Interestingly (to me, anyway) it's been in private events (extended family parties, fundraiser events, the teachers' lounge) where people have tended to be more juvenile and inappropriate- the proportion of people who think they're being witty by saying "You know, the traditional question is..." is remarkably high.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CalBlaylock For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast