X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy McIntosh View Post
    I don't understand how a kilt pin would help. It is only supposed to be through the top apron.
    Can you enlighten me how it would help?
    I have a large, vintage blanket pin. It's pretty heavy and keeps the apron from flapping when it's windy. Most newer "safety pin" style pins are not that heavy.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BEDickey1337 View Post
    I have found a way that...helps to prevent holes, fraying, tears caused by kilt pins.
    I have found a very effective way to prevent these things... leave my kilt pin in a cabinet

I'm a form-follows-function sort of person, and I've tried to pare my Highland outfit of as many unnecessary do-dads as possible.

The only pin I wear is the cap-badge on my Glengarry, because I feel the Glengarry looks strange without it. Of course a similar case could be made for a kilt looking odd or incomplete without a kilt pin. But I have tradition on my side- Glengarries have nearly always been worn with cap-badges, but kilt pins only came into widespread vogue in the 20th century and most military kilts have always lacked them.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the look of kilt pins and have one for every kilt that never comes off. Well I suppose I would and have for kilt cleaning, but generally hanging and airing is all that is necessary.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a number of circular brooches with horizontal pins mounted off centre towards the top. That spreads the load through 2 pin holes instead of one. All have elastic on the pin, just in case. I also have magnetic ones which avoid the problem altogether.

I like Steve's idea of the 4" apron facings as any material attached solely to the pin simply adds to the weight of it and so will exacerbate the problem, although, it will may reduce damage from accidental pulling of the pin. At least, that is my take on it.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve used these type of keepers for years and have never lost a pin of any type. My kilt pin, a 150 year old family heirloom, stays firmly attached and I never have to worry! The can easily be ordered on line and are quite inexpensive.
    ACCF9462-E768-415C-A694-082DBD3E1C48.jpg
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacCathmhaoil For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a similar vein to when I wear miniature medals on uniform, I use a slice of rubber/eraser (depending on location )from the end of one of the disposable propelling pencils. It can be removed/reapplied with ease and one piece lasts for some considerable time.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12