X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Thanks Shaun.

"...without the cantle" - the thing is that I need if for formal wear and I think I've been programmed that if it doesn't have the metal cantle, it's daywear.
    With the exception of full-mask sporrans, of course.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill:

I found myself in a very similar conundrum, and you can see the results of my thinking in this thread:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...64#post1362064

Essentially, I gave in to my lust (mea maxima culpa) for the same brown L&M "Duncan" Hunting Sporran for daywear, and then purchased an inexpensive gray fur dress sporran with a chrome cantle and chrome tassels.

I wear the hunting sporran with black or brown shoes for daytime events like Highland Games and for general knocking around. The gray fur sporran goes very nicely with my Lovat green Argyll jacket and waistcoat for late afternoon/dinner events, and that was part of my calculus.

However, the brown hunting sporran, to my mind, is not at all suitable for evening wear. My evening kit is all black and silver and my dress pumps are patent leather with grosgrain ribbon trim, so broguing doesn't enter into my particular equation. The variations in earlier posts in this thread -- black hunting sporran with chrome cantle -- might satisfy your evening wear need, but I'm convinced by the people who say that variation is more typical of pipe bands, so I decided to go with a more "civilian" dress sporran.

Doesn't help, I know, as I have probably just whetted your appetite for the Duncan sporran but that's how my thinking went.

Rodger
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Rodger, I guess the love of that particular sporran may be the sin of the clergy.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just can't escape the mental image of a WWII-era "padre" in black shirt with dog-collar and green tweed Argyll jacket (see my profile pic).

That leads to the "need" for brown accessories, and well, you know the rest ....

Well Rodger, I guess the love of that particular sporran may be the sin of the clergy.
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    In very general terms -

A sporran of all leather, with a flap in front - is usually called a day wear sporran.

If you retain the flap but the front is fur - it is called by some a semi-dress or semi - formal sporran.

If all fur with a half round metal cantle opening - it is usually called a formal sporran.

Half way between semi formal and formal are the Hunter style. (Called 'Hunter' because the tassels are sewn down so don't make noise.)
    All leather with a cantle opening.

Also in general terms a bright cantle is considered more formal than a leather cantle.

And still in general terms black is considered more formal than brown.

The horse hair sporrans are usually thought of as for pipe and drum majors and the military.

A leather sporran strap is usually seen for less formal or day wear.

And a strap with a chain or fancy links is thought of as more formal.

Sporran suspenders are really helpful for guys with a bit of a belly as they hang from the belt and have less of a tendency to pucker the apron under the belly.

Tassels on chain are usually considered more formal that tassels on leather.
    What it all comes down to is bling. The more bling - the more formal.

As always, Steve, you give the most complete and thoroughly clear responses. None of what you say surprises me in the least although you've given some details that I suspected but didn't think about.

I'm trying to balance "sporran lust" with usefulness and comfort. It's not coming up easily. You posted a few months back, a picture of yourself with a hunting sporran with metal cantle and I believe that you said it was about as formal as you ever go. I've been trying to find that picture, and am wondering what it was you said about it being "as formal as you ever go" and what your thinking was on that. It's part of what got me started on all this. The other pictures that got me interested were those of Rothesay with his hunting sporrans. See in what good company you find yourself?

I have one sporran that I bought from an advertiser here because I loved it online, but I wear it seldom in real life and wonder what it was that made me want it. I'm trying to avoid that issue for the future.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 30th October 18 at 06:13 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always, Steve, you give the most complete and thoroughly clear responses. None of what you say surprises me in the least although you've given some details that I suspected but didn't think about.

I'm trying to balance "sporran lust" with usefulness and comfort. It's not coming up easily. You posted a few months back, a picture of yourself with a hunting sporran with metal cantle and I believe that you said it was about as formal as you ever go. I've been trying to find that picture, and am wondering what it was you said about it being "as formal as you ever go" and what your thinking was on that. It's part of what got me started on all this. The other pictures that got me interested were those of Rothesay with his hunting sporrans. See in what good company you find yourself?

I have one sporran that I bought from an advertiser here because I loved it online, but I wear it seldom in real life and wonder what it was that made me want it. I'm trying to avoid that issue for the future.
    I remember that thread. I think Steve said it was because he doesn’t like fur.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill,

Is this the photo you were thinking about?

The event was the annual formal "Dining-in" of the 78th Fraser Highlanders where I was keynote speaker.
    The invitation said "Black Tie, full ribbons and medals".

This is one of the very few times I have ever worn a Prince Charlie Coatee and the only time I have ever worn Ghillie Brouges. I wore them simply because a customer had walked into my shop not a week earlier and gifted me a brand new, never worn, entire outfit that fit me perfectly.

The outfit also included every accessory ever known.

I kept only the jacket and shoes. Everything else ended up on my second-hand rack.

I pulled one of my rental sporrans out of the drawer.

And yes, you remember correctly. This is the most formal I ever go. I have nothing moral or ethical against fur, It's just not me.

Here I am again, in the same jacket and sporran. BTW - this jacket now has black buttons which I love.

To me "Black-Tie" should be simple and elegant. Elegance to me implies understated and refined. "It's the man, not the clothes" sort of thinking.

Anything more just smacks of "costume/fancy dress ball" to my eye..
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly the picture I was remembering Steve, and yes, I'm slowly moving towards more understatement although there are a few times to pull out the stops.

Is that smooth-grain or pebbled?

Hmm!
    Last edited by Father Bill; 30th October 18 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rental sporrans are the pebbled "Bandsman" ones.

Would you like one? I have an extra.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    My rental sporrans are the pebbled "Bandsman" ones.

Would you like one? I have an extra.
    Absolutely! It's the one I've been leaning to most recently. Let's talk!

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast