X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, cousin, how about this?

Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASinclair View Post

Absolutely lovely, Cuz, but probably not in my budget or needs for the nonce! (I’m more than a wee bit jealous to be honest!)
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would sporran colour not also play a part in the daywear vs evening wear convention? I would have thought for example a brown leather sporran with a copper cantlelwould better match tweeds and therefore more suited to daywear than a black fur version?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm into the Jones. I have two packages coming by our rotating-strike-delayed Canada Post. The sporran is coming from the west coast - the pebbled bandsman that was originally shown in my first post as my second choice but is clearly my best choice of those options posted. Great deal from Steve. From the east coast, a chain from L & M Highland which will set it off beautifully to "up" the ante when I wear it for dressy occasions. (It's the same one Steve posted earlier and shown below).

Right now, Canada Post shows the chain in Montreal and the sporran in Winnipeg (Winter-peg in the local dialect.) They predict that the chain will get here first, but with the rotating postal strikes, it's a bit of a lottery.

I'll let you all know!

Bill+

Last edited by Father Bill; 6th November 18 at 07:11 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, Allen, where did you get this? Goat-hair was favoured in the Victorian age, but they're really hard to find today.

It might be a future choice!

Bill+

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Out of curiosity, Allen, where did you get this? Goat-hair was favoured in the Victorian age, but they're really hard to find today.

It might be a future choice!

Bill+
    I had it custom made. This post has details and some more pictures:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...sporran-94159/
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had it custom made. This post has details and some more pictures:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...sporran-94159/
    Thanks Allen. Undoubtedly something to save up for ... for a long time, I imagine!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About "what defines a Dress v Day sporran?" to me it depends on what time period is under discussion.

Up until at least the mid-18th century sporrans were brown leather, and it seems that the same sporran was worn in all sorts of dress.

Throughout the 19th century hairy sporrans were worn in all sorts of dress, from the most informal to the most formal. There didn't seem to really be much in the way of strict Day and Evening categories, yet with brown and grey tweed jackets the hair sporrans were often grey or brown hair and tended to have leather cantles, either all-leather or leather with metal rim. With the dressier black jackets the sporrans often were white hair with metal-rimmed leather cantles or all-metal cantles (white metal). So sporran categories can be detected, though they weren't strictly followed.

Beginning in the early years of the 20th century the long hair sporrans fell from favour and new smaller pocket-shaped sporrans appeared in two clearly-defined categories 1) brown leather body, sometimes with fur front, with matching brown leather flap and tassels for Day Dress and 2) sealskin body with silver cantle with chained tassels for Evening Dress.

By the latter 20th century these strict categories were beginning to get blurred a bit, with Day sporrans made of black leather, with Day sporrans having silver Evening Dress cantles stuck on them, with Evening sporrans having leather targes stuck on them, and so forth. With some of these mongrel sporrans one can scarcely say whether they're Day or Evening. It's part of a larger breakdown of the dichotomy between Day and Evening dress which was so clear in the 1920s and for decades after.

Many of the sporrans discussed earlier in this thread didn't exist 100 years ago and aren't part of Traditional Highland Dress, so speaking of Day and Evening categories begins to lose purpose.

Hunting Sporrans were originally brown and made entirely of leather. I don't know just when they started to be made in black and started having the silver cantles from Evening sporrans tacked on top, possibly around the 1960s. But in the 1990s they became overwhelmingly popular with Pipe Bands- you could see all 14 bands in a competition heat wearing them- and just now they're finally starting to lose their mojo somewhat.

They're part-and-parcel with the modern Pipe Band costume that swept in in the 1990s:

-Black Glengarry

-Black Argyll jacket

-black hunting sporran with silver Evening cantle

-pure white "piper socks"

-Ghillie brogues.

To me, personally, those sporrans look like what they are: the traditional Hunting Sporran done in an untraditional colour, with an Evening cantle stuck on top to add some bling. Neither fish nor fowl, as someone put it.

Nowadays I'm not quite sure what's going on with Highland Dress. Many people follow the norms of the 100-year-old Traditional Highland Dress. Many other people freely mix costume-items which wouldn't have been mixed in the past. I don't think it matters much, but I can't help but view things through the lens of the past.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 6th November 18 at 07:04 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    About "what defines a Dress v Day sporran?" to me it depends on what time period is under discussion.

Up until at least the mid-18th century sporrans were brown leather, and it seems that the same sporran was worn in all sorts of dress.
    As someone born at least 200 years too late, that would explain why I feel so comfortable wearing the same brown leather, brass cantled sporran for all occasions.

16. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, both packages are here in town. The chain arrived a couple of hours before the sporran. Now, about delivery....

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast