X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions pse: Besides the metal cantle, what else defines a "Dress" vs "Day" Sporran?

I frankly have enough sporrans, but as you all know, it's an addiction. I've got some really nice day sporrans, so I suppose I should concentrate on dress sporrans since so often I wear my kilt on dressy occasions. I do not have a hunting sporran, and they have come to appeal to me as being a little laid back vs. sealskin (got one) or horse-hair sporrans (got one of those too).

One problem I face is that with my body shape, I often need to wear my sporran a bit higher than the recommended traditional norm to give me greater leg comfort, and then when I raise it up, the cantle digs into my belly above. (Sometimes you just can't win for losing!)

The sporran I most covet right now (I know covetousness is a sin! ) is the brown "Duncan" hunting sporran from L & M Highland which has darker brown accents.

I know - no metal cantle, therefore by the definitions I've read so far, it's "daywear" so it probably doesn't meet my greater need for a dress sporran. It's simply the one I just happen to like so much and would love to own. I'm also not sure that the brown will look as good on the red of my Sinclair Modern

as black, and all of my dress jackets, shoes, etc. are black, as are my clerical shirts. I know again, that neither the colour nor matching colours traditionally matters much, but there's a niggling voice in the back of my mind that says brown would go better with my Sinclair Hunting tartan, which I wear less often, since both have earth tones. .

I care a lot less about matching my shoes

So: second choice: L & M's "Bandsman" which happens to be pebbled black. I like pebbled vs. smooth because I think it's a bit more laid back again, somewhat like brogued shoes shined within an inch of their life vs. Oxfords with even the same shine on them

or possibly, their "Bryson" with a pebbled targe and petals over a smooth body.

So what would be ideal for me? In a perfect world, it would be a fictional dress hunting sporran that has a soft body and soft metal cantle (Ha!) or a flap-over (more comfortable on by old bod) dress sporran in brown that looks good on the red.

-

So now, I open the floodgates. I'm looking for advice. I'm looking for opinions... but please note that I'm posting this in the "Putting it on Properly" subforum because I'm looking for traditionally-minded points of view, not the avante-garde.

I've tried to give you all the conflicting thoughts that are swirling about my addled brain on this topic so that you know why I'm stalled and so that you, the Great Rabble, can help me to form perspective in my choices.

Help?

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just get the black version without the metal cantle?

(http://www.lothianbagpipesupplies.co...nting-sporran/)

https://www.google.com/search?q=hunt...yn_7zsewgXs3M:

https://www.usakilts.com/hunting-spo...val-black.html

http://www.highlandhouseoffraser.com...01&prodid=4826

Personally, I like brown leather sporrans with a red kilt for daywear, though I wear a brown belt and brogues with them, as I can't shake that niggling voice either.

Too bad you didn't "need" one of these when Artificer was still taking orders... His hunting sporrans were the best.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Shaun.

"...without the cantle" - the thing is that I need it more for formal wear and I think I've been programmed that if it doesn't have the metal cantle, it's daywear.

Thanks for the encouragement to go brown with red. Maybe this one:

and ask them to do it with silver which is my preference.

Wonder what others will have to say about these ideas too.

Last edited by Father Bill; 30th October 18 at 06:05 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In very general terms -

A sporran of all leather, with a flap in front - is usually called a day wear sporran.

If you retain the flap but the front is fur - it is called by some a semi-dress or semi - formal sporran.

If all fur with a half round metal cantle opening - it is usually called a formal sporran.

Half way between semi formal and formal are the Hunter style. (Called 'Hunter' because the tassels are sewn down so don't make noise.)
    All leather with a cantle opening.

Also in general terms a bright cantle is considered more formal than a leather cantle.

And still in general terms black is considered more formal than brown.

The horse hair sporrans are usually thought of as for pipe and drum majors and the military.

A leather sporran strap is usually seen for less formal or day wear.

And a strap with a chain or fancy links is thought of as more formal.

Sporran suspenders are really helpful for guys with a bit of a belly as they hang from the belt and have less of a tendency to pucker the apron under the belly.

Tassels on chain are usually considered more formal that tassels on leather.

What it all comes down to is bling. The more bling - the more formal.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

6. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an opinion but I have a hard time seeing brown leather working with formal clothing.

I think a black, leather-topped, sporran would look better with formal wear than any brown leather sporran, metal cantle or otherwise.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Just an opinion but I have a hard time seeing brown leather working with formal clothing.

I think a black, leather-topped, sporran would look better with formal wear than any brown leather sporran, metal cantle or otherwise.
    I'm bound to disagree. Not for all formal occasions but the right shade and style does work IMO.

2017 Aberfeldy Ball.jpg

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill ,

I too have an appreciation of sporrans of many types and I do fancy the Hunting Sporrans .

Given your interest in Hunting Sporrans , I have a humble recommendation for you .

Two years ago I ordered a Hunting Sporran from The House Labhran which I have been very pleased . I believe the price may be similar to the one from L&M .

Here is the pic , I ordered it in the antique leather version , new sporran made to look aged .

IMG_0421.jpg

Cheers , Mike
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I'm bound to disagree. Not for all formal occasions but the right shade and style does work IMO.

2017 Aberfeldy Ball.jpg
    The photo is a little small for my feeble eyes and I couldn't get it to enlarge. Is this the same sporran?

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    The photo is a little small for my feeble eyes and I couldn't get it to enlarge. Is this the same sporran?

Yes it is.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill,

I, like you, just went through this conundrum recently. In my opinion, a brown leather sporran with metal cantle will serve you well for most day wear dressier occasions. It could work great with your red Sinclair. To me, a formal dress sporran starts at the fur and metal cantle together. Either of those separately, I consider day sporran but on the dressier side.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast