X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and my beautiful bride brought in the mail just now with both packages in the same slot. Pictures when I get an occasion to wear... or maybe sooner!

Thanks to those on both coasts from here in the middle.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    As someone born at least 200 years too late, that would explain why I feel so comfortable wearing the same brown leather, brass cantled sporran for all occasions.
    I'm in the same boat somewhat, wearing my white goathair sporran with white metal top for all occasions including with Day tweed, in the manner of the 19th century.

Both of these things are going back to historical periods of Highland Dress for fashion cues, and violate the norms of 20th century Traditional Highland Dress. In the end it doesn't matter. But I do think it's best if people have an awareness of the tradition, so that when they bend the rules it's not due to the not-knowingness.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th November 18 at 06:23 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here it is!

And up close:

I think this really satisfies both my Jones and my actual needs. Thanks to all for your suggestions and perspectives!

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    And here it is!

And up close:

I think this really satisfies both my Jones and my actual needs. Thanks to all for your suggestions and perspectives!

Bill+
    I dig those hose! Are the black and white or navy and white?
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I dig those hose! Are the black and white or navy and white?
    Black.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's beautiful!

Nobody does it like L&M. I think they are carrying on the traditional sporrans better than the Scottish makers.

I love the pebbled leather. You rarely see people wearing them, but Thistle Shoes Scotland makes high-end Ghillie Brogues in pebbled leather that look great.

I first see that black Hunting Sporran with Evening Dress top in the classic old (c1960?) catalogue of sporran styles, where interestingly it's placed on a page with Evening Dress sporrans. It's called HS/T/B (Hunting Sporran/Top/Black).

Note the one in the catalogue has the EW1 top, where yours has the EW4 top. Generally they're seen with the pierced EW3 top for some reason.

For a quarter-century now they've been the standard sporran of civilian pipe bands the world over. I think it's because the black & silver goes with the black Argyll jackets with silver buttons and black Glengarries with silver cap-badges that have become the pipe band standard. Plus there's no fur to get bald and no tassels to swing around and fall off.

The one I have is a bit different. It's an old one made by Nicoll Brothers Bankfoot (lower right) who used more tooling, left off the tab-like tassel things, and put on a different top.

Nevertheless the HS/T/B sporran just doesn't look like an EW sporran to me. It makes sense with the Pipe Band kit due to that uniform being in a Neverland between Day Dress and Evening Dress. To my eye full Evening Dress calls for an Evening Dress sporran.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 11th November 18 at 07:29 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234