X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by estimaa View Post
    Using the same logic, women shouldn't be wearing trousers to any interviews either.
    oh, and btw you have heard of fashion?

The main reason why certain clothing becomes fashionable or not, is for the simple reason people wear it.

If you go to an interview intending to make a fashion statement, maybe you should work in the fashion industry not go to some stilted public institution where you might get dismissed for wearing some really ostentatious symbol such as a cross (cos people might suddenly get offended if you work at an airline).

There's no end to these kind of PC and ridiculous arguments.
    They are CLOTHES, wearing a cross doesn't make you are a jesuit......et al..
    Indeed. Such logic doesn't really work: Wearing a suit to an interview might cause a negative reaction, as the interviewer will think that one is overdressed or overqualified. Therefore one shouldn't wear a suit to an interview. Wearing a pair of blue jeans might cause the interviewer to think one is underdressed, so jeans are also out. Wearing a kilt has already been thrown out. Wearing shorts is rarely going to be a good idea unless one is landscaping or a lifeguard on the beach. It appears there is simply nothing at all that one can wear below the waist to a interview that is guaranteed to never cause a bad interaction!

That said, I happen to agree that wearing a kilt to that interview would be a bad idea, based on the posts by those familiar with Australian Police hiring practices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    That said, I happen to agree that wearing a kilt to that interview would be a bad idea, based on the posts by those familiar with Australian Police hiring practices.
    Can you elaborate?
    It sounds like some very bizarre initiation rites must take place?

Does it explain why Australian rugby is no longer what it used to be?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    Indeed. Such logic doesn't really work: Wearing a suit to an interview might cause a negative reaction, as the interviewer will think that one is overdressed or overqualified. Therefore one shouldn't wear a suit to an interview. Wearing a pair of blue jeans might cause the interviewer to think one is underdressed, so jeans are also out. Wearing a kilt has already been thrown out. Wearing shorts is rarely going to be a good idea unless one is landscaping or a lifeguard on the beach. It appears there is simply nothing at all that one can wear below the waist to a interview that is guaranteed to never cause a bad interaction!
    Nothing is ever guaranteed, of course. But standard protocol in the vast majority of the world (Europe, the Americas, Australia, most of Asia, and parts of Africa) is that you can't go wrong by wearing a conservative business suit when interviewing for any sort of professional position. If the job has a specific type of dress that's worn, then the interviewee could wear something along those same lines to the interview.

Context is key, along with common sense.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very sorry but yet another post to this thread has been moved to the Holding Cell pending the results of a flag.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Perhaps that's because members here, whilst loving the kilt, still recognise that common sense should apply? The kilt is not always appropriate for every event in life, and that's a fact. Hence, there are some places where wearing a kilt could lead to a negative interaction with others. If even native Highlanders understand this, why shouldn't we all?
    Which Native Highlanders are these? Theimpression I'm given is that mostof the no camp live on the other side of the atlantic...

And what exactly does 'native Highlander' actually mean in this day and age? Ghillies? Hill Sheperds? Farmers?
    Is a person who worksin 5he city but just happens to live North of the Highland line but doesn't spend any times in the hills really a 'highlander" 'in the true sense?
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 2nd November 18 at 02:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    Greetings all

Bob, my buddy has a panel interview with the local police service. This is the last stage interview after passing a stringent process. This is the last interview by a panel that will ultimately decide whether he's in or not.

I did read the thread that was posted in August 2010. A poll was taken of whick 75% voted no to wearing a kilt at an interview.

May I please have someone's opinion on this matter 8 years later. What's the general consensus?

Regards

Garth
    Perhaps the best answer could be found by approaching a young WAPOL officer who would have recent recruitment / training experience or by asking the same question on this forum:
    https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru...?t=2656976&p=1

EDIT:
    Or even better, go to the WAPOL Recruitment Website where it says:

On the day of your interview:

Be punctual and ensure you attend at the correct location.
    Dress appropriately in smart business attire, and consider your grooming.
    Whilst interviews can be daunting you should try your best to be confident, composed and professional. Throughout the interview be aware of your communication, eye contact and body language.
    Listen to the questions carefully and give thought to your answers. Every response you give is a chance to allow the panel to consider your suitability. If you don't understand a question, ask for clarification.
    Be clear and concise in your communication. Answer questions fully but don't elaborate unnecessarily. Try to keep to the point.
    Be open and honest in your answers. Be yourself. The panel is not expecting perfection.

https://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/jo...rocess/#stage2
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 2nd November 18 at 03:19 PM.

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    I think that there is a certain romantic idea that the Highlands of Scotland are inhabited by noble savages, descendants of those warlike clansmen, and that they, and they alone hold the secrets of kilt-wearing and what being truly Scottish means.
    Those of us who live here know that the truth is somewhat different and that the majority of highlanders neither own a kilt nor consider themselves clan members in the way some would believe.
    Scotland is, in fact, a melting pot where many people from the highlands and islands migrated to lowland cities for the opportunity of education and employment not available locally. As a result you are more likely to meet a highlander in Glasgow or Edinburgh nowadays than in the Highlands.
    I am sure that this does not meet the aspirations of many who will continue to believe that there are two distinct races in Scotland divided by a hypothetical “Highland Line”.
    I don't 5hibk it's a case of two races but that someone who is more at home in the hills and more adapted to outdoor life spending most of their lives working in the hills of the Highlands being more of a 'modern highlander'than someone with the name McWhatever with a claim to Highland linage but has never ventuted beyond the streets of Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Or being part of a Highland Regiment..

Or at least spending aconsiderable amount of 4heir time with their lifestyle absorbing some sort of activity in the hills...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm rather glad I started this thread. I am also glad to see democracy alive and well.
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a Sergeant with a large Sheriff's office in the southwest. I have been with this agency for 13 years. That is not the time to be different, and very strict attention should be paid to any instructions given especially on dress. The one guy in my academy who wore a blue tie instead of a black one ended up doing pushups until he quit the first day. The name of the game is don't stand out.

That being said now that I have years of experience and a good reputation as a former SWAT guy with a little rank I will wear my kilt to and from work, but I still get my share of "hard time" from the guys on occasion. I would never consider wearing a kilt to a promotional board or any thing of that nature.

13. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Mpfox1733 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    Which Native Highlanders are these? Theimpression I'm given is that mostof the no camp live on the other side of the atlantic...
    I think you are correct about where most of the no camp reside.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wareyin For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast