X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The kilt and private schools

Thought the photo of the boys and the kilt might be of interest, the article maybe not.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinio...tion-1-4822238

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    I suppose if you can afford £34,500 a year to send your kids there dressing them up in a kilt and tweed jacket is just a drop in the ocean. Did Glenalmond not survive on the children of armed forces officers posted abroad at one time?
    The article seems to be making the point that not everyone who attends a private school is massively over rich & some low income families do supports5heir children in trying for a scholarship, so the uniforms may have come from a central pool in those cases where they could not?

I remember at the dire secondary modern I went to, because it was in my area I did ask my form tutor the question as to whether I would be allowed to wear a kilt instead of trousers and got told no as it was not "uniform". Female students on the other hand could elect to wear trousers or skirt dependant on their preference. I wonder if these days someone challenged re kilts it would be so readily accepted, although I guess one excuse which would be given would be that Tartan Kilts would not be in the School colours...
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 2nd November 18 at 02:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose if you can afford £34,500 a year to send your kids there dressing them up in a kilt and tweed jacket is just a drop in the ocean. Did Glenalmond not survive on the children of armed forces officers posted abroad at one time?
    Maybe you might be referring to Queen Victoria School , Dunblane, another school where the boys have the kilt as part of the uniform. The school states that "in brief, admission to the School is open to the children of serving Scottish personnel or those serving personnel who have served in, or are currently still serving in, Scottish units or units in Scotland. Priority is given to children whose parent has been killed or have died whilst in service; other compassionate cases; and length of remaining service. The School is open to the children of serving parents of any rank.'

Worth while Googling both of these schools to see how they wear the kilt. Knees well exposed, not covered by a kilt that is too long or hose that is too high.

Queen Vic also on YouTube.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.qvs.school/

No kilts here...

But there is this one:

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    QVS has been co-ed only since the middle '90s. You will notice that the girls wear tights, do not wear sporrans, have kilts that "fasten" on the left,
    Obviously, many of the pupils will not be "Scots".

Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 3rd November 18 at 04:37 AM.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The price list for Glenalmond boys uniforms can be found here (pdf format). Kilts are £86.00 and tweed jackets £114.00 - £131.00

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5QZd56Yu156G1v

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is exceptionally good value - £86 for a kilt! I was quoted £550 for one by a tailor here in Edinburgh.
    It does sound like excellent value doesn't it? Here is the uniform list for Loretto along with a selection of price lists. On page 12 you will see a kilt listed at £85 - it's off the peg in limited tartans and I'm guessing is probably limited yardage like the £150 3 yard one listed below it.

It is noticeable that the uniform list merely states tartan kilt without specifying the material so presumably anything from acrylic to wool is acceptable. The tweed jacket colour is also not specified although the material is. Kinloch Anderson offer a selection of one colour, Cheviot Green, so I wonder if that is an unwritten rule. This picture (on the alamy website) would certainly appear indicate that any colour will do as long as it is the same as everyone else's.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post: