X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper & McKenzie Dundee

I wonder if anyone on this forum has had any experiences with Cooper & McKenzie, Dundee.

I just bought a tweed Argyll jacket (used) bearing their label on Ebay.

Reading the papers online I see that the manager announced his retirement in January 2018

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/tag/cooper-and-mckenzie/

It appears that the property is to let

https://www.shepherd.co.uk/commercia...y/details/3504

Sorry to see a traditional Highland Dress shop go, if go it does. (Looks like a good location for a café etc.)

The jacket is gorgeous, photos to follow.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd November 18 at 04:38 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's already gone I'm afraid , closed at the start of the year. This was an old fashioned menswear retailer mostly selling suits, jackets, trousers and it's a shame as you say to see them go, but I never remember seeing any kilts in the window or them marketing themselves as highlandwear. I'm sure the jacket will be great quality, coming from this kind of shop, they only sold higher end stuff.
    To the King over the water

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AbernethyCameron For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I was afraid of that.

Looks like a great location, close to museums and other attractions. What sort of business is there now?

Yes in photos I only saw ordinary menswear in the windows. Evidently they sold Highlandwear and did kilt hire.

The jacket seems to be of high quality. I shall see, when it arrives!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 6th November 18 at 07:17 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's still vacant, but I'll have look next time I'm in town. This is the norm now over here - lots of empty shops in every town centre due to a combination of out of town shopping centres, online shopping and high business rates making it difficult for independent retailers to survive, sadly
    To the King over the water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    .......Sorry to see a traditional Highland Dress shop go, if go it does. (Looks like a good location for a café etc.).....
    Richard, in our area (the dreaded Silicon Valley) virtually all of the traditional/quality clothing & shoe stores are gone. Property managers are leasing prime ground floor spaces to Tech' companies. They seem to be the only ones that can afford the gross rents. Old buildings, that have stood up tothe years & earthquakes are being leveled. To be rebuilt for more upscale boozer restaurants, tech companies & condo's on top. I'll add, $930K studio condos @ 900sqft !
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was born in Dundee and returned for University. There is still life in the place yet with two Universities and museums aplenty, however, people just don't go to the shops like they used to and that is reflected in the many empty shops in the town, there are only so many Wetherspoons that can take up the empty slots.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsty View Post
    there are only so many Wetherspoons that can take up the empty slots.
    Ha!

I spent a week in London a few months ago and yes Wetherspoons does that, don't they? They seem to gravitate towards iconic listed buildings like former banks, cinemas, and churches.

In any case I do hope the location finds a profitable tenant. I'm not a fan of the Amazon culture that's sweeping America and forcing shops and malls to close everywhere. Soon people will just sit at home all day and work and shop on the internet.