X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have any of all y'all out there been asked this one?

Slainte!

It's been a bit since I've posted...

Here's the thing: I've had the usual run of questions about the kilt, what it means, aren't you cold/too hot/etc and the inevitable question. Got one the other day at work, wasn't even kilted; didn't make much of it 'cause it came from a coworker who has a "unique" sense of humor.

Got it again the other day from another coworker that I don't know all that well. Ah yes; get to the question!

"Do you shave your legs when you wear a kilt?" WHUUH-HUH??

My first response was, "No, why would I? The onliest time my leg (the right one) was ever shaved was for knee surgery in 1976."

Second one was a bit more difficult but essentially the same...

Send me a little feedback on this 'cause I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one of us that's heard that one. I just hadn't heard it before.

Cheers,

idh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not I. Makes me a wee bit squeamish, actually.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not me

of course most of the times when I'm hiking I'm in my vibrams so am barelegged. It's odd when I am in more formal attire for recitals etc no one ever asks about the kilt

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never been asked not ever previously thought about it, perhaps because I don't have hairy legs! Presumably it is more of an issue for dark haired or swarthy men.

Looking on line, a couple of 2017 polls apparently indicated that nearly 50% of men controlled their leg hair in someway and over 50% of women thought they should.

It doesn't say in which country the polls were taken nor what the sample size was but as the article had some connection to a razor supplier, it could be that the figures are on the optimistic side.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me like a variant of the sarcastic "nice skirt" quip, i.e. implying that wearing a "skirt" means you engage in other traditionally feminine activities as well.

My advice would be to pay it no mind. They're probably just jealous that they don't have the guts to pull it off.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a matter of fact, yes. I've been riding and racing bikes since I was in high school and it's kinda just what you do. I almost never had anyone ask when I was wearing shorts but one's legs get a lot more attention in a kilt. I'll be 49 in a few weeks and finally stopped a year or so ago since I ride strictly for fun now and can't be bothered with it.
    Cheers!
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ratspike View Post
    As a matter of fact, yes. I've been riding and racing bikes since I was in high school and it's kinda just what you do. I almost never had anyone ask when I was wearing shorts but one's legs get a lot more attention in a kilt. I'll be 49 in a few weeks and finally stopped a year or so ago since I ride strictly for fun now and can't be bothered with it.
    Same here, when I was riding bikes all the time I did, but stopped when I reduced the amount of riding I did.

TBH though if I was wearing the kilt I tended to let the hair grow a bit more as I thought it looked better with the kilt than totally shaven legs.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually not gotten that question yet, probably because my kilt hose cover my lower legs from just below the knee (2-3 inches below). My outer shins have become bare due my martial arts training, though the inner side and knees still have some hair. Tucking one's leg under when doing backwards rolls several hundred times a month tends to pull the hair out. Over time, it stops growing back even though I've not been doing any training for the last 10 years or so.
    John

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollander View Post
    Sounds to me like a variant of the sarcastic "nice skirt" quip, i.e. implying that wearing a "skirt" means you engage in other traditionally feminine activities as well.
    This is exactly the way I would have taken it as well. The person probably thought they were being clever with their insult.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be a new one on me, as well.

I'd be interested to know if the query came from a man or a woman- I'd assume a woman asking might genuinely be curious, whereas I'd assume a man was making a jibe.

And I concur- anybody making such an attempt at insult is insecure in their own masculinity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast