X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

arnistice centennary parade

Hey OC Richard
    I have to pick your brain on a Royal Regiment uniform question. On you tube under the heading Armistice Centennary Parade St. Giles to Edinburgh is the RRS on parade. I'm not familiar with the tartan the pipe band is wearing and I've never seen a sporran like the one the Drum Major is wearing. It almost looks like a black watch officer's sporran but instead of the tassels being black they're blonde [ see film @ 5:07 - 6:10] . Appreciate the help. From anyone!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    Hey OC Richard
    I have to pick your brain on a Royal Regiment uniform question. On you tube under the heading Armistice Centennary Parade St. Giles to Edinburgh is the RRS on parade. I'm not familiar with the tartan the pipe band is wearing and I've never seen a sporran like the one the Drum Major is wearing. It almost looks like a black watch officer's sporran but instead of the tassels being black they're blonde [ see film @ 5:07 - 6:10] . Appreciate the help. From anyone!
    It would help if you could post a link the to YouTube video. Even better, a screen grab.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25e8SmHJWFk
    I think I have a link here.

Lest we forget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    Hey OC Richard
    I've never seen a sporran like the one the Drum Major is wearing. It almost looks like a black watch officer's sporran but instead of the tassels being black they're blonde [ see film @ 5:07 - 6:10] . Appreciate the help. From anyone!
    This is Drum-Major of 4 SCOTS, and he's wearing very old pattern, Gordon Highlanders officers full dress sporran.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghlevve.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	35567

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

armistice centennary parade

Thanks gang!! I knew someone in the rabble would have the answer

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The officers of the Highland regiments had more than one sporran style.

In looking through some 1881-1914 photographs I see that the officers of the Gordon Highlanders wore five short gold bullion tassels in Full Dress and Levee Dress but two long horsehair tassels in Service Dress. Interesting that the Drum Major wore the officers' sporran (though quite possibly the Drum Major's sporran had certain distinctions).

In the Seaforth Highlanders it was six short gold bullion tassels in Full Dress, two long black horsehair tassels in Service Dress.

I see photos of officers of the Cameron Highlanders wearing their ornate grey horsehair Full Dress sporrans with six short gold bullion tassels even in Service Dress at times, while they appeared to usually wear the Other Ranks sporran in Service Dress.

In The Black Watch officers wore five short black horsehair tassels in Full Dress and Service Dress, but five short gold bullion tassels in Levee Dress and Mess Dress. It was just a matter of switching out the tassels; the same sporran body was sometimes used.

In the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders the officers wore a badger-head sporran for most orders of dress but an entirely different sporran for Levee Dress and Mess Dress.

In addition to all of this, in the Argylls there was a special sporran worn only by certain senior sergeants, most often seen worn by the Pipe Major and Drum Major.

It's a complicated thing, all these army sporrans!

Some pics:

Full Dress officers sporrans of the Seaforth Highlanders; I don't know why they have different cantles.

Early Black Watch officers' sporran with gold lace (braid) rim. This was later replaced by the familiar cast gilt metal top, now worn by all ranks of the RRS. (Back then the officers wore six tassels, the men wore five tassels.)

Argylls' Levee Dress officers' sporran

The incredibly ornate Cameron Highlanders officers' Full Dress sporran

An 1856-1869 photo of an officer of the 78th Highlanders showing eight tassels!

Gordons officers wearing long black tassels in undress and Full Dress

Showing the difference, in the Argylls, between Full Dress and Levee Dress

An officer of the Argylls wearing the ordinary officers' sporran in Mess Dress

Officers of the Seaforth Highlanders; you can see sporrans with six short gold bullion tassels, and two long black horsehair tassels.

Last edited by OC Richard; 12th November 18 at 06:31 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: