X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Grey Watch Tartan

Hey Lads

I apologize ahead of time if this is rehashing something found elsewhere on this forum - but this forum is rather
    large and I wasn't able to nail it down in my search.

Though I claim Clan Lamont, recently I have been doing research on some of the other many amazing tartans out there
    and in my searches I came across a very handsome yet (I think) understated tartan called the Grey Watch. I could not find all that
    much concerning it, but can I assume that this is one of the so-called 'universal' tartans which anyone might use?

Thanks in advance for the info!

J

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the Scottish Tartans Authority it is a " fashion tartan " and they did not list any corporate or copyright restrictions .

Therefore it is universal as it was designed for fashion purposes with no connections to any clan or other organization .

Cheers , Mike
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MacGumerait View Post
    According to the Scottish Tartans Authority it is a " fashion tartan " and they did not list any corporate or copyright restrictions .

Therefore it is universal as it was designed for fashion purposes with no connections to any clan or other organization .

Cheers , Mike

Thanks Mike. Much appreciated

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jack Wolf For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a huge fad a decade or so ago for grey-scale tartans, mainly driven by the kilt hire industry in Scotland.

For those who aren't aware, kilt hire is big business in Scotland, like tux shops are here in the USA.

Thousands of yards of tartan are woven, thousands of kilts are made, for the kilt hire industry.

It goes through fads.

A number of years ago it was gripped by the popularity of all-grey tartans. Many were new grey versions of ordinary existing tartans, the most popular was Grey Douglas but Grey Stewart (a grey version of Royal Stewart) and "Grey Watch" and many others were created.

Also dozens of new tartans in grey were created like Highland Granite and so forth.

Not to be confused with "reproduction" or "weathered" tartans which have been around since the 1950s in which blue becomes grey and green becomes brown.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th November 18 at 06:20 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this on Ebay, very puzzling!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traditional...r=522012092007

It says that it's in "Grey Watch" tartan, but any experienced tartan-spotter will immediately recognise that the pattern isn't Black Watch but rather the four-equal-stripe Allen Brothers template that they used for several different tartans.

In this case the four-equal-stripe template with the addition of a narrow stripe in the middle of the "field" which the Allen Brothers used for MacKay, MacIan, Fraser, and Cameron.

There are loads of Pakistani-made kilts in that tartan, which they sometimes call "Grey Hamilton" however Hamilton uses the three-equal-stripe Allen Brothers template.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th November 18 at 03:38 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: