X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the video from 13 November, one thing that jumps out is how large the Pipes & Drums are.

Military pipe bands did vary, and usually were rather larger than the original establishment of 6 pipers, generally around 14 pipers.

But I think there are 20 or 21 pipers there! That's the "enormous" size of our current Grade One civilian pipe bands that so many people are complaining about.

The Pipe Major was James Anderson, a very large man, who I'm told was gifted with an excellent musical ear, being able to immediately play on the pipes any melody he heard.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    The tour albums are generally recorded and manufactured prior to the tour, and brought along on the tour to sell at each venue.

I have the programme of the Black Watch 1963 North American tour and it contains an advert for the tour album, suggesting it was already to hand for sale. (It was available in Mono or Stereo!)

The album cover photo is the same as the programme cover photo.

Here it is! It's listed as a 1964 release but it was evidently being sold in 1963.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Black-Wa...elease/6963670
    I listened to the album often while I was growing up; it still has a fond place in my memory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12