X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Watch White House 1963

Came across this video of the Black Watch playing at the White House in 1963. The Major is, of course, frightfully "English"! The dancers among us might have some comments on the dancing styles.

https://www.facebook.com/craig.rober...UwMjA4OTMzNzA/

Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 6th November 18 at 08:11 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    Came across this video of the Black Watch playing at the White House in 1963. The Major is, of course, frightfully "English"! The dancers among us might have some comments on the dancing styles.

https://www.facebook.com/craig.rober...UwMjA4OTMzNzA/

Alan
    Fantastic find. Thank you for sharing!

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    The Major is, of course, frightfully "English"
    https://www.facebook.com/craig.rober...UwMjA4OTMzNzA/Alan
    Oh yes and of course needs no badges of rank, you can always spot an officer by the absolutely terrible way they salute.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For more information on Brigadier (then Major) Mike Wingate Gray, refer to his obit in The Herald: www.heraldscotland.com/news/12063275.Brigadier_Mike_Wingate_Gray/. Many English have joined Highland Regiments, just as Scots have joined the RAF and the Royal Navy.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 6th November 18 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the drummers interesting. The snare drummers used a style I associate more with the Royal Marines than Army units. Perhaps of 50 years, the army has changed. It could also be a "parade" style rather than a "marching " style. I have witnessed a few Highland regiment performances when they toured Michigan. Also lots of other You Tube videos and I don't remember that as an Army Style.
    I'm only a casual observer of Highland dancing. My impression is that it is very style bound with strict form requirements i.e. that's the way it's done and has been done for years. I wouldn't expect much variation from current performances.
    One also wonders under the current state ( past 10 years) of Presidential security, would edged weapons be allowed that close to POTUS? Performance or not.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have in front of me the programme for the Black Watch's 1963 North American tour.

Early in the tour, on 13 November, they performed for an appreciative President Kennedy.

The tour was interrupted when the President was assassinated and the Kennedy family asked The Black Watch to play at his funeral, on 25 November.

The 1989 programme of the Black Watch North American tour states:

"In 1963 the Regimental Band, Pipes and Drums was honoured by being requested to play at The White House for President John F Kennedy. A month later they were again called to The White House for a very different occasion: the Kennedy family requested the pipers of The Black Watch to play at the funeral of the fallen President (making the Black Watch) the only British regiment ever requested to play at the funeral of an American President."

Here at 22:42 the pipers of The Black Watch can be seen and heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KJQkn6zUvM

(The military band in scarlet tunics seen at 18:05 is The President's Own, of the US Marine Corps.)

There is a tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jtY1n_Y-QE

(The tour programme doesn't list the tour itinerary and dates, as they usually do, so I can't be sure that the tour was interrupted for the funeral. But that is the story usually told.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th November 18 at 08:10 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rose View Post
    I'm only a casual observer of Highland dancing. My impression is that it is very style bound with strict form requirements i.e. that's the way it's done and has been done for years. I wouldn't expect much variation from current performances.
    I suspect the SOBHD would not be happy with some aspects of the dancing. But what do they know?

Alan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen this recording before. It is a fine performance.

I also believe there is a recording that was done during this tour. I have an LP of the Black Watch released in 1964, that I believe was done while in the US.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post

I also believe there is a recording that was done during this tour. I have an LP of the Black Watch released in 1964, that I believe was done while in the US.
    The tour albums are generally recorded and manufactured prior to the tour, and brought along on the tour to sell at each venue.

I have the programme of the Black Watch 1963 North American tour and it contains an advert for the tour album, suggesting it was already to hand for sale. (It was available in Mono or Stereo!)

The album cover photo is the same as the programme cover photo.

Here it is! It's listed as a 1964 release but it was evidently being sold in 1963.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Black-Wa...elease/6963670
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th November 18 at 04:46 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a Great Video from the Archives. Thank you Alan for posting it.. Sad to think that in 9 days time, Jack Kennedy would be Assassinated in Dallas.. I was 3 years old at the time, and I can still remember watching parts of his Funeral on TV..
    Bill...
    “Canadian Grown and Raised from Scottish Roots!”.....
    "Clan Farquharson, & Clan Fraser of Lovat"....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast