X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change of seasons

Well, we have snow here.

Our back deck just after 7:00 am today.

And the last rose of summer.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    We’ve had frosty nights here but no snow - yet. A shiver ran down my spine viewing your photo. Brrrrr..
    Actually Steve, we're delighted!

...but then, this IS Canada!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice

I know the grass is always snowier on the other side but I do miss winter. Nice shot of the rose.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of snow & clear air, would be a blessing. We've been getting to the low 40's near sunrise. Sadly, the air is grey brown from the fire that leveled Paradise California....about 250-ish miles away. The air quality was classified as unhealthy, within a half hour of sunrise.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Baeau For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got our first real taste here last night as well, Father. Two inches on the driveway (St. Paul, MN) this morning. Guess it's time to take the shovels down from the garage attic.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MNlad For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the city I live in, is in Canada, the Victoria City Council voted to make it illegal for it to snow within the city limits.

This came as a result of them finding out that while the city does have one snow plow, the guy who knows how to run it, winter's over in Florida.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I neglected to add, this winter will be our first with a chance of snow. Silicon Valley has seen snow, three times in my life. Here, then gone. Our recent move puts us into the 'Yes it will snow (a bit), & the highway down the hill will close' zone. Amazing what a 25 mile & 1700ft elevation change can offer.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    I neglected to add, this winter will be our first with a chance of snow. Silicon Valley has seen snow, three times in my life. Here, then gone. Our recent move puts us into the 'Yes it will snow (a bit), & the highway down the hill will close' zone. Amazing what a 25 mile & 1700ft elevation change can offer.
    Interestingly, I'm at 42.9881 degrees north latitude, not really a very long way from the northern border of California at 42 degrees north. Canada's southernmost tip is actually just short of 42 degrees north, a shade to the south of California's northern limits, more if you look at a couple of islands.

Now, there are a lot of reasons why the climate varies between the two - the ocean, elevation, etc. etc., but it's an interesting geographic calculation.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We actually got a little bit of snow last winter, right as I was driving home from work in the dark. Not pleasant in an area where nobody knows what to do in snow (including me). Those lines on the highway just disappear, man! And we don't have winter tires, snow chains, or any of that stuff. It was pretty dicey for a while. I wouldn't mind some snow as long as I'm warm and safe at home.

We should be getting our first hard freeze this weekend, I think. I still need to put all my winter insulation on exposed pipes. Crud.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh.

I hope you at least get the "Fireplace Channel" in Texas! I've got a cord of wood stacked, half in the garage, half outside, and we're burning right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast