X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, maybe not such a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Bring a flask of scotch, and keep sipping.
    Collin, although that is a delightful and topical suggestion, drinking alcohol, even a 50 year old scotch, will actually hurt your chances for staying warm in the cold weather. You feel warmer because it causes the blood vessels in your skin to dilate, but you really aren't getting warmer. Actually, it lowers your core body temperature.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    I won't wear a skirt in cold weather... I feel the same about a kilt... I'd only do it if I had to...
    Ye're an affa cauldrif quine, Katia!

Alan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    We agree, to a point. Suffering in the cold just to wear a kilt is an exercise in impracticality for the sake of vanity. I'm just of the opinion that the kilt is not an all-weather garment. Below a certain temperature threshold, it simply makes more sense to wear trousers (and insulated ones at that). Obviously not everyone feels this way, but I would feel a bit silly wearing full leggings under a kilt like King George IV and his pink tights. For me personally, the kilt should be worn with bare knees visible. If it's too cold for that, it's too cold for the kilt.
    There's evidence to show in the highlands that in inclement weather some wore trews under the belted plaid. Maybe a pair of old style tartan trews could be the answer?

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    We agree, to a point. Suffering in the cold just to wear a kilt is an exercise in impracticality for the sake of vanity. I'm just of the opinion that the kilt is not an all-weather garment. Below a certain temperature threshold, it simply makes more sense to wear trousers (and insulated ones at that). Obviously not everyone feels this way, but I would feel a bit silly wearing full leggings under a kilt like King George IV and his pink tights. For me personally, the kilt should be worn with bare knees visible. If it's too cold for that, it's too cold for the kilt.
    Quite right, I could not agree more.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago I was going to a Burns Night at the local Masonic Hall, it was a bone chilling -40. I was taking public transit for the night so I wore my tartan trews. The only people wearing the kilt that night were the pipe band. Trews are a good thing to have for such an occasion.

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    A few years ago I was going to a Burns Night at the local Masonic Hall, it was a bone chilling -40. I was taking public transit for the night so I wore my tartan trews. The only people wearing the kilt that night were the pipe band. Trews are a good thing to have for such an occasion.
    Trews can be essential attire during the midge season too!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    If any men are searching for tan tights, per Katia's suggestion, I can suggest that the plus-size women's pantyhose section of Wal-Mart is a good place to look. I have not bought tan hose there, but have purchased white hose for use in Medieval costumes from time to time. It's much easier and cheaper than trying to order mens tights at a dance supply store.

However, I'm still not ready for tights under the kilt. If it's that cold, I'll wear pants, preferably made of wool.

Andrew
    I was thinking more along the lines of "tights" as in "running/athletic tights" than "thin nylon things you wear under a skirt." I have never found those to be even remotely warm. My tan "tights" are either leggings, or a pair of sweater-knit figure-skating tights. And even as leggings, they can be hard to find.

Sock Dreams might be a place to look, though, if you don't mind ordering online. They have a wide variety of unusual stuff, and seem pretty good at advising on size for plus-size and male customers, right within the item listing.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Katia-

You are quite right and Sock Dreams is a good suggestion. I just figure that if one is after a pair of warm tights in something more skin-toned than REI will offer, the Wal-Mart ladies section is a good place to look. I've never tried it, but I imagine they do have some warmer knit offerings during the cool weather seasons.

Here in China women wear an enormous variety of leggings all winter long. Most young women are very fashionable and keen on showing off their legs--no matter how cold. Leather leggings under shorts is a very big look during January in Shanghai. However, none of these Chinese tights are likely to fit most of the Rabble here

Andrew

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to also support the Sock Dreams idea. I occasionally wear socks and boots similar to Howie Nicholsby's style. I find that some of Sock Dreams' leg warmers work well for this look: I usually put on a pair of moisture-wicking low socks on first, followed by the leg warmers (usually dark coloured) followed by another pair of socks (that I've cut the foot off). Breathable and functional and if it gets chilly enough, I can always pull up the leg warmers so they cover more skin.

But, similar to some other posters, if the weather is too cold for bare knees, then I may not wear a kilt. Other times, I will wear long merino wool leggings.

Best,
    Jonathan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking tights, or tights over long johns. As a cross country skier and bike rider, I have several of each, and some wool leggings too. I recently discovered there is a local group of kilt wearers who ski in kilts, I'll have to join them.

I was out last night at 28F, wearing hose over boot socks, and long boxer briefs, and the kilt in PV material, and all was fine except my knees were cold! If it had been windy, I might have been colder yet.
    Last edited by Oilverland; 19th November 18 at 07:27 PM.
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Oilverland For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast