X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilts and cold weather

With Remembrance day fast approaching I was wondering if any of you have advice on keeping warm in a kilt. I live in central Alberta and the temperature can get as low as -25C to -30C. I plan on wearing my merino hose with my heaviest kilt and sweater but I will be outside during part of the ceremony. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Undershirts, under-socks, and why no jacket?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a long overcoat out of doors in the winter...
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep your head warm, wear warm footwear keep your core warm.

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring a flask of scotch, and keep sipping.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make yerself some "kilt-johns"!
    The bottom half of wool long-johns, cut off above the knees. That will keep your "core" warm ;0)
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

11. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly I have found that with wool hose, a sweater and/or jacket, and a really good scarf, my kilt is comfortable at rather cold temperatures. Granted, I haven't lived in Canada, but I spent a few winters in Beijing, which can be pretty raw for much of the year.

That said, I really like the "kilt johns" idea. Searching online, I found various vendors offering merino wool or fleece "boxer briefs," some of them "extra long." These would go a long way towards ensuring adequate warmth in your kilt on cold days. I intended to order some myself to prepare for the next Beijing winter, but instead I found a job near Hong Kong, where the weather is more like Florida.

I have not found my long overcoat to be all that helpful with the kilt. But I made an ankle-length cloak out of velour and found that it kept me quite comfortable as I walked around New York City kilted in the snow one January weekend (I was taking my wife to the Metropolitan Opera and wore the kilt and Prince Charlie jacket). So you might want to look into a proper cloak as well.

Good luck in your quest for warmth.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to look for a long overcoat at our local second hand store tomorrow and failing that I will probably just tough it out with my leather jacket over my sweater (I have a nice wool flat cap but my wife hates it because she says it makes me look like a old man) so I will have to go without as a baseball cap tends not to go with a kilt LOL. I already wear longer boxer briefs so that's covered. Thanks for everyone's help it has been informative

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have time, you ought to look into getting a Balmoral bonnet. I would never want to go bareheaded in the cold. So if your wife has nixed your flat cap and you've wisely chosen to forgo the baseball cap, another headgear choice is desirable. Balmorals are both traditional with the kilt and provide excellent warmth in cold conditions.

You could also follow McMurdo's lead above and wear the ever-popular Canadian tuque. This would provide some cover for your ears as well.

But I'd definitely think about something to keep your head warm.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    If you have time, you ought to look into getting a Balmoral bonnet. I would never want to go bareheaded in the cold. So if your wife has nixed your flat cap and you've wisely chosen to forgo the baseball cap, another headgear choice is desirable. Balmorals are both traditional with the kilt and provide excellent warmth in cold conditions.

You could also follow McMurdo's lead above and wear the ever-popular Canadian tuque. This would provide some cover for your ears as well.

But I'd definitely think about something to keep your head warm.

Balmorals do work with earmuffs too.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast