X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shoe color

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes indeed in Victorian time ankle boots were popular in Highland Dress but for whatever reason they fell out of favour around 1900.
    I am very fond of the ankle boots seen in many of the photos and paintings from 1850-1900. The construction and style were much more shapely than a lot of modern boots, especially in the heel and toe. Some of the "ammo boots" that can be found today are similar, albeit still more chunky in the sole. The boots in Victorian times had a nice aesthetic proportion with kilts, where most modern boots are just too large and out of proportion for my tastes.

But I'm all for bringing back the ankle boot for daywear! The new pair of brogued "country boots" I just got from Samuel Windsor are not quite the same as the Victorian style, but I think they work great with the kilt for spending the day out-of-doors like I did today. The two-tone effect of the sole wouldn't have been my first choice, but I am learning to like it. Anyway, hurrah for ankle boots!

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black is the traditional colour for Highland footwear.

I have a long-lasting pair of green wellies (for the muck), a pair of working boots in brown and something that was probably olive at one time (for the field), a pair of black and tan deck shoes (for inside and outside), and a pair of terribly comfortable grey and black 'house' shoes. I rarely wear brogues these days (a comfort issue; but I do find gillie brogues comfortable).

With the exception of the above 'occupational' uses, my upbringing always takes me to the black end of the shoe rack when I am wearing a kilt.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah Tobus that outfit and those shoes are amazing.

Some more ankle-boots in Victorian Highland Dress

Last edited by OC Richard; 11th November 18 at 06:41 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lean towards black shoes with the kilt. Well polished for day attire is all that is needed and super polished( patent leather style) for evening attire. I occasionally wear dark brown shoes with the kilt but avoid tan shoes at all costs. In case anyone is wondering I have never worn, nor am I likely to, those dreadful ghillie brogues of any colour.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 16th November 18 at 04:02 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally wear black shoes with my kilts. I have patent leather for black tie and a few different black dress shoes for other situations. I also have a pair of cordovan brogues (oxford-style, not ghillies) that I wear sometimes.

I really like Tobus's ankle boots. I have a pair of Johnston & Murphy ankle boots that basically look like the high-top version of a pair of plain dress oxfords. I have worn these with the kilt and liked the look. And as OC Richard's post shows, this is certainly a historically popular style. Of course, a pretty high proportion of mens shoes during the Victorian period were ankle boots, whether worn with kilts, pants, or knickerbockers.

I also often sport my brown hiking boots for casual kilt wear. But I wouldn't wear them with a jacket or tie.

Andrew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12