X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kilted at Amusement Parks

Does anyone have any experience with being kilted at an amusement park (i.e. Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens)? Over the summer I went to Dorney Park (Pennsylvania) and went, well, basically, in what I go fishing in - pants that convert to shorts and my quick drying fishing shirt. I wasn't sure if we'd be engaging in any water activities.

We're going to Busch Gardens (Tampa) tomorrow, I was thinking of wearing my kilt (as I do, now, when not at work on non-Fridays) but think I'll go in jeans since I'm not sure if it'll be a pain climbing in and out of roller coasters (my 12 year old finally likes them!!) pleated, as it were.

What say the rabble (as a matter of opinion, of course)?
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do as you like...

But I’d leave the kilt at home. It seems impractical for the occasion.

Have fun!

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a kilt to Disney all the time. I'd recommend a utility style .

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work at Disneyland (the original, in California) and I see kilted men regularly, perhaps once a week. They're common enough that they don't attract much notice.

Generally they're utility kilts, nearly always actual Utilikilts, them being a West Coast thing.

Once in a while I'll see a tartan kilt, sometimes a traditional wool kilt, sometimes a "sport kilt" style kilt.

I've seen people post nonsense online that Disneyland doesn't allow Guests to enter the Parks wearing kilts, or costumes. I see both all the time. I see Guests, children and adults, male and female, dressed as Indiana Jones every day, and people in elaborate Steampunk outfits, and people dressed as Disney characters.

All of this is part of the reason kilts don't stand out much.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a problem. Just be careful on the slides or avoid them, especially if there is a camera pointing up at you from a low angle.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments! I should say that my concern is not at all regarding whether I'd be allowed into the park wearing a kilt (I have no doubt that I would) or whether I'd unduly stand out (I suspect that a kilt would go largely unnoticed). It's only about clambering in and out of roller coasters and keeping the kilt decently pleated and swept under as I sit (I don't have a utility-style kilt).

Although...one does see plenty of women wearing unbifurcated clothing at amusement parks...
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been issues at Busch Gardens with kilt wearers. One fellow was asked to leave because of his tartan kilt. Something about guests thinking he was staff. It was on the news, but a few years ago. Might be different now. Again, it was tartan, one of the many purple fashion setts I think, and he had also chosen to wear a lady’s sash in the same tartan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard.......the day (just before Labour Day) my eldest stopped to say "Hello & Thanks for the Tartan info (her University paper), she sent two pics of Kilted Park Guests. One Utilikilt or some variation. The other, a proper kilt. Judging by the amount of pleats. As you said, no one gave them a second glance.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobinn View Post
    Although...one does see plenty of women wearing unbifurcated clothing at amusement parks...
    And I wouldn't do that, either. Going on rides that may create strong winds, have me hanging upside down, possibly have legs hanging free... not to mention, as you said, climbing in and out of rides... is the place for secure garments I don't have to adjust or worry about covering me/getting in the way. (Plus, who knows what else is on those seats that you could sit in.) A skirt doesn't meet those requirements for me, and the yardage of a kilt certainly wouldn't.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, it all depends on what I will be doing at the park. If I will be riding any roller coasters, especially those with exposed legs, then I will be in pants or shorts. Ditto the water rides.

If I will only be enjoying the park at a more leisurely pace, riding nothing more exciting that a carousel or the old-time cars with lawn mower engines, a kilt would be just fine.

I've seen guests at amusement parks in kilts, and I even chatted with a fellow wearing a black watch kilt in the line for a wooden coaster here in Georgia. If you chose to wear one, I'm sure you will have had a great time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast